lights dimming

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ctintd 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: January 02, 2006 at 12:33 AM / IP Logged  
hi...
im running 2 amps, a 1001 and a 604 to 3 12w3v2s..
ive got a 15 farad 2000 joule capacitor, the C.A.P. one, and all the wiring is done correctly on the relays, yet my lights still dim, and occasionally, the head unit shuts itself off for some reason.. can anyone help me with this?
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 02, 2006 at 12:37 AM / IP Logged  
Alternator....batteries............GROUND?
chris(nj) 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 02, 2006 at 12:39 AM / IP Logged  
did you upgrade the big 3?
2001~S10~xtreme~xcab
ctintd 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 02, 2006 at 1:12 AM / IP Logged  
how much do alternators cost?? batteries?
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 02, 2006 at 10:08 AM / IP Logged  
You'll have to do a search to see what's available for your vehicle.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 02, 2006 at 5:34 PM / IP Logged  

Grounding sticky + BIG3 + battery + HO alternator + SEARCH for each topic.

In the future always post the entire system + year, make, model vehicle.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
alpine_king 
Copper - Posts: 73
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2006 at 8:58 PM / IP Logged  

cap is just a bandaid, its not really gonna help ur lights from not dimming, i read that this guy just upgraded his ground wire from his battery to chassis, with like 0 or 1 gauge wire and it fixed 80 % of the dimming, try that. leave all your other grounds that are connected to your battery right now because the current from your amps will take the path of least resistance, then upgrade the big 3 forsure and plan on getting a high output alt, your gonna need it.

1993 Ford Ranger.
Head Unit.Alpine CDA-9831
Front Speakers.Infinity 6010 Reference Series
Amp.Alpine MRD-M1005
Subs.3 Kicker CVR10
Rear Speakers.SPL CS-573
20" Boss 312's, lowered 3/4
xtremca2003 
Member - Posts: 37
Member spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2006 at 9:48 PM / IP Logged  
A cap will not make the lights stop dimming. A good test for those who think caps are the cure is to disconect the incoming battery power from them and see how long the system stays running. B........(not long enough to finish the ...oom). Adding an aux. battery will help the situation a bit since it does have reserve power to offer. The main problem lies in the altenator. A factory altenator is designed to run enough power for the "stock, no addon's" car and oem accessories, while at the same time providing enough current to charge the battery. Now add in the two amps that you have and you start drawing anywhere from 0-100 amps of current on top of what you car itself want to consume. It does not take long to pull the battery down. Once the battery gets low, then you begin to back draw, (take power back to recharge) from other items (hense the visably blinking lights). Turm on the heater and things get worse, roll the power windows up and down and it gets worse. The moral is that factory altenators do not generate enough power to run every electrical component effiecently. Last but not least, heat, the enemy. Once this get hot, they build resistance. The altenator, the battery, the amps. Power efficency goes down even more.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic