icon

need more bass out of ext cab silverado

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
holty 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: January 02, 2006 at 9:56 AM / IP Logged  
Hello all, i've been a member here for a LONG time, just never really needed to post anything. I like to read all the great info here.
Well, i finally can use some advice from you guys. I currently have 2 JL 12W3v2d2's in a sealed www.subthump.com box under my rear seat in my '03 silverado SS extended cab. currently a JL 500/1 is powering the subs. The rest of my system sounds spectacular, except for the bass, i'm just not happy with it. The subthump box is a pre-made mail order box that has .92 cu ft. of air space. Now, i don't know what the JL subs call for in a sealed enclosure for air space, but i'm sure its more than .92 cu. ft. So there lies my first problem, but since I really need use of my back seat, a different box is almost completely out of the question, especially since i have NO wood working skills of my own, and local shops are always disappointing with there work.
My first attempt to get these subs louder is upgrading to a JL 1000/1. My reasoning behind this is simple. It just "sounds" like the W3's are starving for power. I should not have problems running this amp on those subs if i keep the gains down right?
If that dosn't work, my next step is to upgrade subs. I hate to go this far though, because the box i have is really limiting me on sub choices as its only 7inches deep. ALSO, any long excursion subs will hit the floor of the truck because the box fires down.
So, can anyone offer some suggestions here? Maybe fill the boxes will some poly fill to trick the subs?
Holty
'03 Chevy Silverado SS
'04 Nissan Maxima SL
ssnds 
Copper - Posts: 169
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 02, 2006 at 12:15 PM / IP Logged  

Maybe having then fire towards the back of your front seat would help a lot.

SSounds
holty 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 02, 2006 at 12:47 PM / IP Logged  
03impalla wrote:

Maybe having then fire towards the back of your front seat would help a lot.

Its funny that you mentioned that.  I have tried turning the box up on it's side so that the subs aim towards the back of the front seats.  I really didn't notice any improvements by doing that. 

Holty
'03 Chevy Silverado SS
'04 Nissan Maxima SL
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 02, 2006 at 12:52 PM / IP Logged  
Change the subs. You are working with a finite amount of space in a sealed box. I would fire them towards the front seat if possible, after that it is going to be experimentation time with subs that are good in small sealed boxes. The other avenue to take it one good sub in a custom slot port box, provided you have the room. More power like you are thinking will not make the system play any lower than it is now, it will play louder, not better.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
holty 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 02, 2006 at 1:08 PM / IP Logged  

forbidden wrote:
Change the subs. You are working with a finite amount of space in a sealed box. I would fire them towards the front seat if possible, after that it is going to be experimentation time with subs that are good in small sealed boxes. The other avenue to take it one good sub in a custom slot port box, provided you have the room. More power like you are thinking will not make the system play any lower than it is now, it will play louder, not better.

forbidden, thank you very much for the response.  though, it is not what i wanted to hear, i figured it would come down to just that, change the subs.  Either, way, i think getting the bigger amp will help, especially when looking for new subs.  I'll be able to get subs that can handle more power now. 

Do you have a recomondation for a good 12inch sub that will need that kind of small enclosure?

Oh, also, there is no permanent way to make the current box face the back of the front seats.  The box is formed to the floor and the subs fire down, so when you turn it on its side, the box is just kind of "sitting" there with no real support and i have to have my backseat folded up.  For example, if i need to stop quickly, the box will start sliding around on the back when its up on its side to have the subs facing forward.

Holty
'03 Chevy Silverado SS
'04 Nissan Maxima SL
chris(nj) 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: January 02, 2006 at 1:52 PM / IP Logged  
per the JL site, they call for; 1.25 cu. ft. / 35.4 liters (23.0 in. x 14.0 in. x 10.0 in.) in a sealed enclosure
2001~S10~xtreme~xcab
dzelaya18 
Copper - Posts: 49
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 02, 2006 at 5:27 PM / IP Logged  
Its really too bad that you must have a back seat. I knew a guy with an S-10 (I know, smaller truck, but he had the same problem) who made a HUGE box that took up the whole rear compartment with three 12" Alpine Type R's firing down and a couple of big MTX amps. It hit so hard it made your eyes blur at stoplights. No too great for SQ, but it pounded.
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 02, 2006 at 7:55 PM / IP Logged  
I would try adding some polyfill to the box you already have before you go out and buy new gear. Try using around 1 pound per cf of box space. This should simulate a larger box (supposedly up to 40% larger).
holty 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2006 at 7:36 AM / IP Logged  
yes, i think i will try the polyfill option first, thanks.
Holty
'03 Chevy Silverado SS
'04 Nissan Maxima SL
spootydlux4 
Copper - Posts: 149
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2006 at 5:09 PM / IP Logged  

update on what happens cuz i have the exact same problem, damn ext cab chevy's and their backseat! I think im going to build a console for three image dynamics id10"s. But im afraid i still wont get the volume i need.

blah blah blah blah
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic