icon

Remote starter 1992 Jeep Cherokee

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
scottrrichards 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: January 02, 2006 at 5:39 PM / IP Logged  
My father is installing a remote starter in his 1992 Jeep Cherokee. Everyting seems to be fine except that the vehicle will only start if the key is in the ignition in the "on" position. If the key is not in the ignition in the "on" position, the engine/starter just crank, but does not start. What should he look for. It does not have an alarm that he is aware of. I was thinking maybe the tach wire wasn't hooked up to the right wire, but I am clueless with this stuff. I gave him the wiring diagram off this site, and he says it matached the way he hooked it up...
Summary:
    Vehicle starts fine with the key manually.
    Vehicle starts fine using the remote keyfob if the key is in the ignition in the :on" position
    Vehicle cranks a few seconds and shuts off w/o the key
Mharvey 
Copper - Posts: 76
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 02, 2006 at 5:46 PM / IP Logged  

sounds like the ignition wire is not hooked up corectly.

Ignition 1 BLUE (+) IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS

perlyboy 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2006 at 2:26 PM / IP Logged  
Sounds like you have what is called a transponder key system. If the key is grey, You have one. You need to get a bypass module. I have the 791 bypass module for my 1999 jeep grand cherokee. It comes with a wire that loops around the key cilinder and acts like an antenna. When programmed. Your comp. will read that and bypass the chip in key.
Fullthrottle 
Copper - Posts: 101
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2006 at 2:31 PM / IP Logged  
perlyboy wrote:
Sounds like you have what is called a transponder key system. If the key is grey, You have one. You need to get a bypass module. I have the 791 bypass module for my 1999 jeep grand cherokee. It comes with a wire that loops around the key cilinder and acts like an antenna. When programmed. Your comp. will read that and bypass the chip in key.
I dont think the 92's had that. I have a 91 and it doesnt - heck its not even OBDII!!
The wiring for the 92's is the same for the 91's. Check to make sure the ignition wire is hooked up to the right one!
BTW - Bulldog Security's T-harness for the GM-3 will fit the Cherokees in our years!
mike swanson 
Copper - Posts: 290
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2006 at 8:09 PM / IP Logged  
I have a 97 and it doesnt (Ign wire) off the top of my head is it Dark Blue ???

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic