icon

burned my deck out

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
aplaya4life 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: January 02, 2006 at 10:37 PM / IP Logged  

ok, so i was messing around with a few things the other day and i decided to put my home stereo subwoofers (w/ speakers) in my truck and connect it along with my rear speakers.  i got everything to work until i decided to turn my system up pretty loud...  thats when i saw my deck started smoking....

so after letting it cool off for about an hour, i turned the deck back on (after disconnecting the home stereo speakers) and the deck acted as normal, but no sound was coming out of any of the speakers... i checked all the wiring and everything looked right, but just no sound... after putting my stock deck back in the original speakers still worked, so it was just the deck.
is there anything I can do to fix my deck, or is it lost completely???

jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2006 at 12:08 AM / IP Logged  
sounds like you hooked up the speakers in line with the speakers you had in your car, thus providing to low of an impedance for the deck to handle and completly smoking the amp inside the deck.        If it is an expensive deck you might want to consider fixing it but usually runs around $150+ to repair them
if not then its trash or you will have to use an external amp
That is why in the manual is says minimual impedance 4 ohm
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
hobobasher 
Copper - Posts: 66
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2006 at 12:21 PM / IP Logged  
Yep deck saw too low independence and it blew up so now you have 2 choices. Run an amp to your speakers and call it a day. Or you can buy a new deck but if you like the oneyou have and it works for you just get an amp hook it to your speakers and you will be good. And next time you want bass get a real amp and real sub(s) no home audio stuff. Look on the brightside you didnt catch the truck on fire
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 03, 2006 at 12:43 PM / IP Logged  

Impedance is not to be taken lightly.  Same goes for anything electrical.  Next time you get an idea come to the forum and ask about it first.

...time to go shopping!

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
aplaya4life 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2006 at 4:37 AM / IP Logged  

i originally had a sub w/ amp but i sold it when i bought the truck... the experiment was more of a Will-It-Work type thing and I went a little too far...  The deck cost about $300 when i got it and it was like a year old but i'll just wait for whenever i get tv's or something. either that or buy an amp.

but thanx i just wanted to know if it was fixable

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic