icon

installer rate

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
shawzie 
Member - Posts: 30
Member spacespace
Posted: January 02, 2006 at 11:15 PM / IP Logged  
Just wondering,what does an installer average per hour? and is it a good career choice.Is it a  trade that you go to school for?
xtremca2003 
Member - Posts: 37
Member spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2006 at 12:24 AM / IP Logged  
It all depends on what you do and where you do it at. I would say that where I have been (Iowa) it would range from 30-50k a year. I have only worked in a bay that was full commission, so you were able to write your own check. This was fine for myself, however it was tough on a newbie.
My word of advise is to learn the electrical part of it. Cars are only becoming more difficult to work on. Fiberglass boxes and kick panels only get better with time, but auto's change every model and every year.
Chris
gus1 
Gold - Posts: 1,013
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2006 at 10:05 AM / IP Logged  
Save your money..... you will learn more if you apprentice in a shop. Go be a hoodpin/tach kid for a while, learn how to take things apart properly. Buy your own tools (trust me on this..... most installers would rather someone not using their tools. I personally can't stand other people using/losing my stuff)
After a couple years, yeah, maybe give the folks at Mobile Dynamics some of your hard earned money if you feel you need to.
A zero experienced installer can expect to make a whopping slightly more than minimum wage for a year or so. You may even make more at Tim Hortons. However, if you are patient, willing to learn, and don't mind getting yelled at once in a while, then after 5 or so years, you can expect to be taking home 40ish if you bust your ass.
Gus
PS: I'm one of those angry old guys that manage a shop.... after 10+ years under dashes, and a few noobs, that's just the way it is.
Wherever I go, that is where I end up......
shott8283 
Copper - Posts: 112
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2006 at 10:39 AM / IP Logged  
never thought an installer could make that kinda cash... i guess you gotta be where the demand meats the supply huh...  when i was doing it on a profesinal level (part time) was making 10bux an hour plus 25% of the what the shop charged for the install price for that item.. say a deck install would cost the customer 20-30 bux.. id get 25% of that fee..  but then the store went belly up b/c the owner/manager had to go to iraq with me
10nesne1 
Silver - Posts: 284
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2006 at 10:53 AM / IP Logged  
I live in Canada. Always, work in a busy shop. Train salesman and inexperience installer or newbie just finished Mobile Dynamics. Most newbie in my shop makes anywhere from $10 to 12 an hour based on their willingness to work and learn. The shop is 100% commission. It's pretty good for a newbie but you do required your own tools.
OhioMike1101 
Silver - Posts: 343
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2006 at 11:08 PM / IP Logged  

We pay straight up piece work.

$50 alarm or RS

$75 combo unit

$20 deck/speakers/basic labor

$30 amp install

1/2 labor rate for custom work.

average installer makes 100-200 per day depending on how busy we are and they are.  We give a 20% chargeback to the installer if his work is returned for anything other than basic maintenence or questions.

South Side Audio
2501 S. High St
Columbus, OH 43207
shawzie 
Member - Posts: 30
Member spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2006 at 11:37 PM / IP Logged  
ohiomike,it sounds like you got yourself a little nike sweatshop there lol.
OhioMike1101 
Silver - Posts: 343
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2006 at 7:52 AM / IP Logged  

shawzie wrote:
ohiomike,it sounds like you got yourself a little nike sweatshop there lol.

AN avarage installer can make 25-35K/year easy at those rates.  Better installers can make 40-60k.

South Side Audio
2501 S. High St
Columbus, OH 43207

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic