icon

When to Consider 2-Way? Recommendations

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
trickvert 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2006 at 8:18 AM / IP Logged  
Hi folks. I first want to say thanks to the powers that be for providing such a great resource. There is a TON of useful information here! I'm sorry that my first post is a stupid newbie question, but I guess I have to start someplace. When to Consider 2-Way? Recommendations - Last Post -- posted image.
I've got a new-to-me '95 Mustang convertible (weekend toy) that will be getting an alarm system, as I'd like it to continue to be mine. Things have changed a bit so far as availability since I last was into this stuff (about 10 years), and I'd like to get some educated opinions on a system.
Thanks to info garnered from this site, I will probably stick with DEI or Autopage, and will want a system with KE, motion, starter kill, and prox. Remote windows would be nice, but are probably not necessary. (Now if I could integrate a rain sensor to put the top up in case of a shower, that would be cool!)
In any case, my options seem to be:
1) Add-on system to my factory KE system (Hornet 727T, for example)
2) One-way alarm (Viper 3101V, Viper 850XV, Hornet 742T , Autopage RF410, etc.)
3) Two-Way alarm - (Autopage RF-520LCD or Viper Viper 671XV or 690XV)
I don't need the most bells and whistles. This isn't for show, it's for protection. I won't be parking in shady neighborhoods or in unlit parking lots, etc., but want to make sure that if I take it to the mall or a movie, it will be there when I get back.
I'd appreciate input on what to chose and why, or a point in the right direction to resources to educate me further.
Thanks a million.
Andy
Jschult3 
Copper - Posts: 106
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2006 at 2:03 PM / IP Logged  
Your probably better off with a 2 way. It will alert you to problems with the car. Someone attempting to enter, door being opened, prox sensor, shock sensor, etc.. DEI makes great products. My wife has a 791xv. DO yourself a favor and spend the extra couple of bucks for the extras now. Later if you want to add features it will be easier if you have the extra channels to do so. The 791 remote is sensitive to being dropped but other than that it's a great system. If you are having it installed get everything now, they will generally charge you less labor if they only take the car apart 1x. Plus all those plastic clips get looser and looser the more you pull them apart. Makes for more rattles down the road.
Jeff
Always Verify Wire information before Connecting! Just a Darn Good DIY'R
dualsport 
Silver - Posts: 983
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2006 at 3:33 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah, I'd go with a paging alarm, no matter how much noise it makes, no one would be more concerned than you-
I wonder if any stock alarm setups allow you to turn off the siren when you're in paging range, to enable it to be used as a silent alarm- if it were more widely used that way, it'd be more of a deterrent, since the bastids wouldn't know exactly when they tripped the alarm.
Then you can make personal introductions with Mr. Louisville-   When to Consider 2-Way? Recommendations - Last Post -- posted image.
Starter kills are always the safe recommendation because failure of the system generally won't leave you in peril like a fuel or ignition cutout, but they just seem a bit too easy to get around. I'd consider just a quality mechanical switch for the cutout, trading off convenience of remote control for reliability; you could use it just for periods you have to leave it unattended and out of paging range. Putting it together yourself has the advantage of being an unknown to the crook, being a nonstandard setup from the usual installations.
trickvert 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2006 at 8:13 PM / IP Logged  
I know the Vipers are well-respected, and rightly so. I'm liking the Autopage RF-520LCD, though. (BTW, It has the "silent alarm" mode you refer to.) No battery backup, but I'm thinking a motorcycle battery and an automotive diode to serve as a circuit seperator might serve the purpose quite nicely.
I like the idea of the built-in SIS, but will most likely install a fuel-pump cutoff as well. Kindof a last-ditch failsafe. I've considered a hidden switch, but maybe a self-sealing reed-relay ckt. A magnet on my keychain waved over the right spot, and on comes the fuel circuit. Alternately, a realay ckt could be connected to the proper accessory, the power antenna lead on the stereo. The car won't start withoiut the radio on! I also read an article where someone used a magnetic switch on their ashtray door. He had to open the ashtray before the car would start. Who would think of that?
Keep the info comin'!
Andy
ringojam 
Copper - Posts: 215
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2006 at 8:20 PM / IP Logged  
I like cliffords 3.5 matrix 791 viper only problem tranmitters senstive to drops,But the new 10.5 matrix solid transmitter can take a drop but screen tends to vibrate some times.Autopage mabey?
Jamaica home of the worlds fastest man.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic