icon

12 VDC IR Retransmitter?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bfam 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2006 at 10:56 PM / IP Logged  
Is there any 12VDC operated IR retransmitter available? I want to be able to use the VES IR headset in my 2006 Chrysler 300C in the front seat to allow the passenger to listen to Sirius, AM/FM radio, etc. on the headset while I listen to CD's. The headset requires an IR signal from the rear facing screen of the VES. Thanks.
xtremca2003 
Member - Posts: 37
Member spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2006 at 11:20 PM / IP Logged  
Check and see if any home audio repeater will work such as Niles. Primarly used in remote retrasmitter in whole house audio systems. Not sure if it is compatible or not, but maybe worth looking into.
http://www.nilesaudio.com/product.php?prodID=RCA2&recordID=IR%20Kit&categoryID=Ingenious%20IR&catcdID=5&prdcdID=FG01067
Chris
sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2006 at 8:03 AM / IP Logged  
Your idea won't work too well unless you disconnected the rear emitters first. The two sets would interfere with one another. What you could try is purchase a kit that has two channels emitters and two channel headphones. You would need to reroute the audio from the rear video to the new infrared transmitters and that would leave a second channel free for your Sirius radio. Mount the emitter unit up front so all passengers will receive the signal. Many companies offer the kit. I have used Audiovox's kit in past. It is simple to use. All it needs is switched power, ground and two sets of RCA input and it comes with two sets of two channel headphones. More sets can be purchased separetly.
sparky
bfam 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2006 at 1:29 PM / IP Logged  
Hi Sparky. Thanks for the reply. I did not completely explain the system and what I want to do. The front mounted radio has audio inputs from AM/FM, CD's, the Sirius, and the rear VES (Vehice Entertainment System). The rear mounted VES is infrared and sends infrared audio signals to the wireless headsets for the rear seat passengers. The VES can play DVD's, and listen to the radio (AM/FM), Sirius, or the CD's that are on the front radio. What I (as the driver)want to be able to do is to listen over the vehicle mounted speakers and listen to whatever I want. At the same time I would like the front seat passenger to be able to listen to some other source on the wireless headsets thru the VES system. The problem is that the heasets work by line of sight and won't work in the front seat,as they are not line of sight to the IR emitter. What I am looking for, if it is even available, is a way to retransmit the rear VES emitter to the front seat area so the headset will work in the front seat. There is no audio output from the VES so I can't use one of the available transmitters that convert the audio to an IR signal. I looked at one of these (Myron & Davis AWT-28). If you have any ideas on a 12VDC IR retransmitter I'd sure appreciate any help. I am sorry I did not describe the system well enough and what i want in my original post. My passengers really hate my selections and would like to listen to something else. Best regards, Bob.
sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2006 at 10:05 AM / IP Logged  
You may be able to get a single channel wireless transmitter from some company. You would still have to disconnect the audio feeding the VES infra-red transmitters and feed it into the new unit which you could mount up front. Unfortunately, I haven't done this before so you will have to do some experimenting to find the correct lines to tie into to get the audio signal. Maybe another member can help?
sparky

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic