icon

2 12 in a Lincoln Towncar

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
i2y5 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2006 at 7:42 AM / IP Logged  
I had bought a floor model bandpass enclousure with 2 12" subwoofers. I wired up the amp to the the subs and nothing came out. Brought it back to Best Buy they said they couldn't help me. How do I tell if the subs are toast or if I did something wrong? Thanks!
darthness 
Copper - Posts: 136
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2006 at 7:53 AM / IP Logged  
are you sure you wired the amp up right? check all your connections, fuses, etc. you need to have your power wire (fuesed), ground wire, remote wire, RCA, and then speaker wires hooked up.
speedwayaudio1 
Silver - Posts: 879
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2006 at 8:27 AM / IP Logged  
Best Buy won't take care of a product they sold you? That is pure bs. Thats why you should go your local shop for your future audio needs.
Big Dave
malibu04 
Member - Posts: 40
Member spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2006 at 2:23 PM / IP Logged  

Best Buy wouldn't help with what he bought cause it was a floor model.  Something they sold and he bought cheap after the fact.  Fact is, he should have had them hook it up to see if it worked before hand. 

Anyway: 

here's a checklist:

1) Does the amp turn on?     If not you have a power problem.  This is when you pull out the test light to see if you have power, if so you might have a bad ground.  If you have power with the car off check the rem wire (make sure car is on).

2) Are you going RCA from the radio to amp or are you tapping rear speaker wires and going into a high level converter.  If converter is your awnser, check if it has gains and make sure they aren't on zero as mine was when i installed yesterday.  If RCA's from radio:  some pioneer decks do have seperate volume controls and such for your subwoofer outs, and since you didn't say what kinda set-up you have i can't help much.

3) If neither of the above work this is where you double check all your connections, especially in the box.  There's been 2 or 3 times i have put a woofer in a box and forgot to connect the wires to the subs.

Can't really help more than that till you test these things and post again.

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2006 at 2:33 PM / IP Logged  

speedwayaudio1 wrote:
Best Buy won't take care of a product they sold you? That is pure bs. Thats why you should go your local shop for your future audio needs.

I AGREE!  This is BS and I don't care if it was a floor model or not.  This is unacceptable customer service unless they are saying they will not look at it because they didn't install it, or if they specifically said there was no warranty, and THEN only if the sales contract (IE: receipt) specifically states as much.  If any company tried to do that to me they'd have a problem on their hands.

Support the12volt.com
i2y5 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2006 at 3:00 PM / IP Logged  
the customer service desk told us that the car audio dept. should have something to test it. Went back there the guy was a total d*ck. I said is there anyway you could maybe test these to see if it was an error i made? He quickly said i thought you just told me they were broken. I repeated the question.. he said i can install it for you. I walked out.
As for the setup and amp power questions.
The headunit is a cheaper Kenwood. I have the signal going to the amp via twisted RCA's. The amp is wired correctly as it has power. I can't really get to the subs to see if they are connected properly because it is a bandpass box. I did take off the terminal connector piece and that was wired. I'm just going to get my money back and buy something new. thanks for the help!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic