icon

180 amps too much correct?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
resu 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2006 at 4:09 PM / IP Logged  
So here's the low down. My boys car had a mtx 4 channel amp for the front and rears in his 1992 ex coupe. That amp was being powered by a 4gauge wire with a fuse set for 60A. Everything was fine. Now I ran a 2 gauge wire with an 80A seperatly for the 1000w amp in the back. What im wondering and im pretty sure, i just need to hear some input, is that this is too much. He does have a distribution block by monster that has a 2 guage input and 4 4 guage outputs. So my thought was to take out the 60A 4 gauge wire leaving the 2gauge to run to the distribution block. Then from there have 2 4 guage wires, one for the 1000w, and one for the 4 channel. The sub is a JL but i only wired it to one channel i didn't bridge the connections fearing i'd blow the sub.
Alright so question being will i end up blowing the 80A fuse if i take out the 4 and just use the 2 and branch from that, becuase of the smaller honda batteries..im fearing i'll end up draining. Aight thanks for any input
-Resu
ssnds 
Copper - Posts: 169
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2006 at 4:32 PM / IP Logged  
with that 2 guage wire, you should be fine with just having that wire. have a distribution block with the correct fuse for each amp. like my distribution block has two 150 amp fuses and a 60amp fuse.  with 1/0 guage wire though. that is a total of 360 amps the wire says it should be able to hold 350.. i doubt those amps will ever pull that much though. maybe i should lower the sub amps down to 125 or 100.. anyways... you should be fine with the 2 guage and the two amps running off of the power wire with a distribution block. say if u have two fuses one 60 and the other 80 make sure u have a fuse up by the battery that is dqual to the fuses in the dis block
fingaz22 
Silver - Posts: 410
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2006 at 5:16 PM / IP Logged  
what ohm is that sub? your better off bridging that amp if the subs the correct ohm to do so. rather than just using one channel of the amp.
JUST ONE MORE AMP!!!
hu,alpine cva 1005/dva 5205
sound processor,symmetry(first one).
sub amp,power 1000 the terminator.(1992).
subs,spl comp dual 1 ohms.
punch 150hd on a 10" ev.
alotofhighs
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2006 at 5:38 PM / IP Logged  

I view things a little different. If the amps have built in fuses, there is no need for a fused distribution block. Does your large amp have a internal fuse? Even if it does not, a inline fuse that is close to the amp and between the amp and the distribution block is all that is necessary.

As far as the wire run goes, I would use the 2 gauge run only and remove the other line as it is not necessary. Run the 2 gauge to the distribution block and split off with the 4 gauge like you planned. Absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Now for the fuse, the main fuse up front has nothing to do with protecting the amplifiers, it protects the vehicle. This fuse however also needs to be as large or close to the combined value of the two amplifiers fuse values in the rear. Worst case scenario is you need a different type of fuse and fuse holder, be it a circuit breaker type of wafer fuse.

In the future, if you or your son have questions, always post the year / make / model of the vehicle and the proper make / model of the installed or soon to be installed equipment. This way we can accurately map out how to wire a system for you. Heat is what will blow a sub, usually caused by an incorrect gain setting on the amp. The gain setting on the amp is not a volume control. It is designed to be turned down and not up. Answer my above questions and add your new ones to the mix as well, should I still be around, I'll be glad to answer them for you.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
resu 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2006 at 4:59 PM / IP Logged  
Correction...its not the distribution block that allows for fuses..the set up is as of now...a 4 gauge wire running to the 4 channel amp and that has a 60a fuse in it...*plus some on the amp which i will check*. next is the 2gauge with an 80a fuse running to the amp. The 1000w amp has 2 30A fuses if i am correct.
If you all would like further details on the amps and fuses just let me know.
I looked at the JL for a while but it had nothing directly written on the magnet as they sometimes do. The only writting on it noticed was a barcode with some numbers. If that is how Jl id's their subs let me know and i'll take it out and look it up. The magnet on it looked pretty healthy..and definately had some weight to it.
-Resu
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 05, 2006 at 6:33 PM / IP Logged  

1.  You fuse wires according to their gauge.  As long as the fuse doesn't exceed the capacity of the wire it won't be "too much".  Here's a chart to refer to:  power and ground cable specs.  4 ga. wire can be fused up to 150 amps and 2 ga. can be fused up to 225 amps.  The loaded amplifier attached to the wire will dictate the amount of current demand - thus the amount of current that will flow through the wire - and the current flow MUST be less than the wire is capable of handling.  That is to say, make sure the wire is big enough for the task and fuse it to the extent of its value.  That's about it for wire fusing, but there is some good reading HERE on the subject.

2.  To find out what impedance that sub is, first disconnect the wires attached to it.  Determine if it is one coil or two, i.e., one set of terminals or two.  Use a digital multimeter and set it to ohms.  Read the resistance between the set of terminals.  This is DCR and will be slightly less than speaker impedance.  If the reading is around 3.2 ohms, it is a 4 ohm voice coil.  So it the sub has one voice coil reading like that, it's a 4 ohm subwoofer.  Attach the sub to the amp according to the amp instructions.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
resu 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2006 at 11:01 AM / IP Logged  
The information and help is much appreciated. I haven't been able to get on in a couple days, reason for my late posting. Thank you to all.
-Resu

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic