icon

Tahoe Sub Box Build up

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
muttman05 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2006 at 12:07 PM / IP Logged  

Not sure what happened to my last post but it is all hosed up. I just purchased a 06 Tahoe and plan on installing a  couple of JL 10's. The problem I am having is the cost to build a box. I was quoted 700 to build the box below. Guess I am going to take on the task of building it my self.

Anyone from Austin? Where is the best place to purchase supplies?

What are some things I should look out when building this? Any hints or tips would be great.

darthness 
Copper - Posts: 136
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2006 at 12:29 PM / IP Logged  
autozone, your local hardware storem and a fabric store if you plan on covering it. < they'll have everything.
mi_what 
Copper - Posts: 208
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2006 at 3:44 PM / IP Logged  
700 isn't bad for that box...you might want to consider it; especially if you haven't done glasswork before. I live in SA and I have found everything I ever needed at Advance, Autozone, Pepboys, and the occasional visit to my local fabric shop.
muttman05 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2006 at 4:52 PM / IP Logged  

thanks.. is it cheaper to buy the FG at a paint store vs auto parts?  700 for the box is crazy ( I say that before getting my hands wet). If the box was 600 in parts and 100 in labor maybe i wouldn't have such a problem. I am sure that I can build that box with out much of a problem.

What is the best way to measure the volume of something like this? I want to know if I need to port it? I was guessing if its glass I could fill it with water. 

driverswanted 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2006 at 6:50 PM / IP Logged  

For starters, back outta this post and look at the "sticky packing peanut volume measurement" thread. That should kinda give you ideas on how to measure volume, or maybe spark ideas of your own.

As for porting, i'd first try looking up the specs for your exact sub- brand and model. From what i've seen, ported boxes are usually sized differently than sealed, so that might be something to look into before making your enclosure...

1995 Maxima
-n8
youngone 
Silver - Posts: 269
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2006 at 9:55 PM / IP Logged  
as posted above there is a size difference in ported and sealed boxes. ported boxes are bigger and harder to build. and there is no reason to port it unless you want more spl. but since it sounds like you haven't made fiberglass boxes before i would go with the sealed box. a + to sealed boxes is they usually have better sq. but that depends on the sub and its environment. do alot of reading and then try and tacle the building, cas you wont get to fare not nowing what to do. good luck
Aaron
Want to know some good equipment- JL,Adire Audio,Mcintosh,Brax,Helix,Eclipse,JBL,RE,Dimoand Audio,Zapco, pritty much anything DYhon,Forbidden recommend
On the12volt you give some info and you get in
muttman05 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2006 at 7:00 AM / IP Logged  

thanks I have worked with FG before in boats but never for a speaker box. I have built a few boxes before with out issue. This website is a great resource of information. I plan on being a member for some time.

mi_what 
Copper - Posts: 208
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2006 at 4:25 PM / IP Logged  
Alright, since there is no convincing you outta it...I am the same way. it looks like they made a mold of the rear panel side and some portion of the floor outta glass, cutout the oval shape for the speaker front, use dowels to support it, then lay a false front out of 1/4" wood, stretch fleece, lay resin on the fleece, start laying glass. That's probably the easiest way to explain it. As far as porting it, your subs should include the port specs, then you need to decide whether you want to chamber each sub or have them hitting in the same airspace, add the correct port size either to the sub box or each different chamber. It's a lot more work and you might like a sealed sound better.
muttman05 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2006 at 5:39 PM / IP Logged  

thanks. I think I am going to go with a sealed box for sure. I just spend the last 10 minutes or so looking at my rear panel.  It appears that the these are different years. The plast panel is much different in mine around the hatch area.

For now the plans are to pull the plastic section out and see what I really have to work with. I believe a I can cut the plastic and feather the cut line under the leather once covered. Just going to take a bit more work. Not worried.....yet!

I have looked around and can't find a lot of info on what fleece to use. Got any suggestions. Fabric store?

ajm859830 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2006 at 12:05 AM / IP Logged  
muttman05 wrote:

thanks. I think I am going to go with a sealed box for sure. I just spend the last 10 minutes or so looking at my rear panel.  It appears that the these are different years. The plast panel is much different in mine around the hatch area.

For now the plans are to pull the plastic section out and see what I really have to work with. I believe a I can cut the plastic and feather the cut line under the leather once covered. Just going to take a bit more work. Not worried.....yet!

I have looked around and can't find a lot of info on what fleece to use. Got any suggestions. Fabric store?

Im in san antonio and was in HEB about a week or 2 ago and they had a metal bin thing there with generic fleece blankets for $3 each. Most def. beats $4 a yard at walmart so I picked up a few of them and it worked great for the pods for my door panel.

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic