icon

Best Buy Installer dress code?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
another-kelly 
Silver - Posts: 618
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 11, 2006 at 5:23 PM / IP Logged  
i had a guy installing for cash out of the bay. uh, right. yeah he's since been fired
jayx27 
Member - Posts: 23
Member spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2006 at 11:59 AM / IP Logged  
Yeah, Installing for cash out of the bay is bad news.  I mean if thats the case why dont u just go work somewhere else.  Cuz I know when II started to feel sourly towards best buy I was looking for another job, but since then things kinda turned around and I know Ill prolly be with them for a few more years.  As far as dress code, My former store was very lax.  Installers could wear blue jeans on the weekend, although i never did. They didnt care what kind or color shoes u wore.  Most of the installers didnt wear a belt but I did b/c Im really skinny, but I buy my pants big in the waist and with long inseams so they'll fit me comfortably.  For the longest time there was no shirt tucking, but when my sup started tucking in his shirt everybody just sort of followed his lead, although nothing was really said about it.  As far as hat we got to wear whatever hat we wanted b/c it was cold.  and when the m people gave us stuff like hats and shirts we were allowed to wear them.  We even had a sirius basketball hoop affixed to the top of one of the bay doors.  But for the most part as long as u have a clean polo and black pants, (preferably NOT jeans cuz they're the most uncomfotable pants to work on a car in) not much else should really matter. 
koolspot6 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2006 at 12:07 PM / IP Logged  
there was 5 people doing it out of ours then they left (not fired but left to other best buys) they got the other installers to start doing it at the other stores- te new guys at the one i left are doing it and pretty much all of the ones around here are doing it - when i went down south to visit some friends the ones down there were doing it - i think if you're hitN ur budget then who cares - in fact the one in new york that one of our installers came from- he was encouraged by his manager to do it - and they ended up being like top 50 in the company for like 4 months straight
woodn01 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: January 15, 2006 at 7:45 PM / IP Logged  
forget having other installers charging for stuff on the side! i work for best buy and i dont want to see my other installers doing that. if you are gonna do it just do it away from work not while you are on the clock. that makes me made whenever another installer is working on a homeboy's truck on the clock while i am in there busting my butt and taking all the crap from the customers and 2+ vehicles while he is out there goofing off.
koolspot6 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 15, 2006 at 11:12 PM / IP Logged  
you want me to just give you a list of store #'s that are doing this - you think i would rat out some of my old employees and friends - F* that you managers have no clue whats going on in that bay - they put a camera in ours and watched us do stuff and they still couldn't prove anything - and why would they say anything we were hitN budget usually 110-120% everyday , we were positive in cycle counts on some things, we had almost zero customer issues - and everyone was happy - i wasn't saying that you should just do it everytime and i know its still against company policy to do so - but they took the points system away from us and that pissed a lot of us off- now its anywhere from 10-20 an hour to do something - unlike b4 when it was get as much as you can done everyday cause you get somewhat of a bonus for doing more. i'm in the MD/DC/VA area and i know of several stores that are doing this - i'm thinking in that territory about 1/2 - 3/4 of the install bays are doing this - you can come on here and say its not true and claim you work at a store that doesn't do it - but i've been there - i did it and i know of lots of people that do - i'm about to open up my own shop and you know what - if i'm hitting the numbers i need to hit to make good money then guys doing a little side work is fine to me-
Datboygonz00 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: January 16, 2006 at 6:17 PM / IP Logged  

meltingplastic wrote:
be warned though.. best buy politics SUCK!

yeah it sucks. i installed a deck into a 03 tahoe.it had an aftermarket alarm that was installed somewhere else. n-e-ways he came back a week later complaning that his door locks don't work w/the remote. I did all the checks, the pre and post checks. i even had the customer check out the vehicle before he left signed the paper work and left. when he came back he wanted a new alarm. Our alarm teck checked it out and said it was the install job done on the alarm. the acting gm that day said go ahead and replce it so we did. next thing i know im getting fired for breaking the alarm when i install a deck. I fought it and they moved me to the warehouse. that was in september. the monday after christmas they put me back in the bay.  Oh, that was the first time anyone ever came back for something i had installed. no claims at all. since then that guy has came back 6 times complaining about the alarm that its does not work like his first one. go figure huh.

kaezoo 
Copper - Posts: 125
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 17, 2006 at 10:57 AM / IP Logged  
If you want to do work on your time, with your tools, on your property, then great; more power to you. If you're doing it on Best Buy's time, with Best Buy's tools, or on Best Buy's property, then you're stealing from your employer, and you're no better than the guy who slips a few CD players out the back door.
ilvwhtgrls 
Member - Posts: 35
Member spacespace
Posted: January 17, 2006 at 3:43 PM / IP Logged  

koolspot6 wrote:
you want me to just give you a list of store #'s that are doing this - you think i would rat out some of my old employees and friends - F* that you managers have no clue whats going on in that bay - they put a camera in ours and watched us do stuff and they still couldn't prove anything - and why would they say anything we were hitN budget usually 110-120% everyday , we were positive in cycle counts on some things, we had almost zero customer issues - and everyone was happy - i wasn't saying that you should just do it everytime and i know its still against company policy to do so - but they took the points system away from us and that pissed a lot of us off- now its anywhere from 10-20 an hour to do something - unlike b4 when it was get as much as you can done everyday cause you get somewhat of a bonus for doing more. i'm in the MD/DC/VA area and i know of several stores that are doing this - i'm thinking in that territory about 1/2 - 3/4 of the install bays are doing this - you can come on here and say its not true and claim you work at a store that doesn't do it - but i've been there - i did it and i know of lots of people that do - i'm about to open up my own shop and you know what - if i'm hitting the numbers i need to hit to make good money then guys doing a little side work is fine to me-

You wont feel that way when you own or run your own shop.  When people do side jobs, it literally takes money out of your pockets.

Eye am so re todd did.
koolspot6 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 19, 2006 at 6:08 AM / IP Logged  
actually of the people i hired i informed them about this and stated that side jobs are ok to do as long as we have hit our mark for the day and they take any of the issues that come with the job - they can be clocked in and make a lil on the side if they want - doesn't bother me - so you're wrong....but thanks for tryN to prove something
sk8ingsmurf 
Copper - Posts: 198
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 19, 2006 at 8:25 AM / IP Logged  
I know for a fact that at my old store there was none of this going on, we were normally one of the top 100 monthly and I cant even imagine the nerve it would take to rip the company off like that.  Best Buy may not be a perfect store for car audio and I understand its definitely not many people's first choice in places to go for it, mine included, however its not such a bad place, and in my experience was fairly pleasant to work for.  If you have such a problem with the store that you feel the need to steal from it like this (and that is what you are doing) then you really should be looking for employment elsewhere.  And just because you hired people and gave them poor information that could get them, you, or both of you fired doesnt mean that its right or ok.
Page of 6

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic