icon

Passlock 2?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
je3169 
Copper - Posts: 73
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2006 at 4:12 PM / IP Logged  

Hi  I have a buddy that has a 2002 cavalier Z24 (his daughters) started having problems with the RS he took it to the shop he had it installed at they checked the install and said everything was ok so he took it to the dealer (mistake) cost him 500 bucks they said they had to replace the Ign switch they told him they disconected the RS and that hooking it back up might fry the Ign swich again he went back to the shop he had it installed at and told them what the dealer said they said BS and hooked the RS back up.(then i got a call) i asked he if they installed a transponder unit when they installed the RS he said no they used resistors??? i have never heard of doing it this way i have only used the transponder units from DEI anybody herd or done it this way.

Thanks John

mo12v 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 2,748
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 07, 2006 at 4:27 PM / IP Logged  

Used to HARDWIRE all the time..........I use OMEGA now

Here is Hardwire way with resistors:

http://www.wiringinstructions.com/238.htm

MO
Don't Learn from Others Mistakes
You Might Be the One That Knows.
sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2006 at 4:34 PM / IP Logged  
Transponders are not used in the car's Passlock II system. The Passlock II system uses a circuit built within the ignition switch that introduces a fixed resistance across two wires coming from the BCM during crank and retains that value while the car is running. Some people decide to use a cheap method of constructing a circuit comprised of relays and a resistor. Most people use a more refined method of installing a bypass module to interface with the Passlock II system. Some modules duplicate the resistance value to the car's BCM and others send a data message on the car's Class II data bus telling the BCM that the correct signal was received by the BCM and to allow the car to start and stay running. There may indeed have been no problem with the remote starter install, unfortunately you may never know now. What the shop should have done was to temporarily disconnect the remote starter and return the Passlock II wiring to normal if they used the non-Class II data interface method, and seen whether or not the system faulted. If the problem only occured during remote starting, then there probably was a problem with either the install or the parts used. The Passlock II system in the car is like any ohter component and will evetually fail. I have seen many fail and I have seen many Passlock II interfaces fail, primarily the non-data ones. Your buddy must have approved the work to be done otherwise it is unlawful to do so. The dealer won't hook up the wiring again because they don't know how and don't want to be held responsible it it fails. If the car works fine now, have the shop hook the remote starter up again. They will have to retune it to the new Passlock II resistance value. Make sure they guarantee their work so there is no more problems. Unfortunately, dealers react this way far too often. Sometimes it's warranted and sometimes it's not. You may never know.
sparky
je3169 
Copper - Posts: 73
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2006 at 5:06 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the reply you have been very helpful i have never installed a RS in a GM before just Ford's and Toyota's and the chip is in the key on those cars.

Thanks John 

p/t installer 
Member - Posts: 29
Member spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2006 at 6:15 PM / IP Logged  
{TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" UNABLE="on"}{TR height="100%" UNABLE="on" width="100%"}{TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background=""0 UNABLE="off"}anybody out there ever bypass a clutch pedal in a 2001 sunfire and in a 2004 tibouron? and if so could you please send me the digram of the relays.  thanks for your valued continuing support{/TD}{/TR}{TR UNABLE="on" hb_tag="1"}{TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNABLE="on"}{DIV id=hotbar_promo}{/DIV}{/TD}{/TR}{/TABLE}
sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2006 at 8:15 PM / IP Logged  
GM does use a chip in the key as you call it on some vehicles. The chip is a transponder and is used by most manufacturers now. GM calls their system Passkey III.
sparky

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic