icon

2nd battery needed?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
pimpedprobegt 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2006 at 4:34 PM / IP Logged  

I have a pretty simple question.  My truck (97 Chevy) is running a little short of power.  I will be installing a 200 amp alternator on Monday, but I have a question on whether or not to run a second battery.  I am currently running a MTX 81001 at 1 ohm to four Alpine SWE 12" subs.  I am also running two MTX 302's to my highs.  I have a Power Accoustic 2.5 Farad cap with a built in volt meter and amp draw gauge.  At full power (approximately 2400 watts) my voltage is dropping down to around 9.5 volts at the cap and shows about a 100 amp draw.  It does not kill the truck, but it takes about a minute after turning the stereo down for the voltage to return to 14.4 v at the cap with the draw at about 4 amps.  Will the 200 amp alternator be enough to keep up or should I consider running a new battery or possibly two batteries?  I do plan on running competitions but on a very limited basis.  It is more for personal enjoyment(as well as those people within a three block radius).  What do you guys think?

1997 Chevy K1500
Clarion VRX935VD
Power Accoustix 2.5 Farad Cap
MTX 81001
MTX Thunder 302 x2
Alpine SWE 12 x4
Blaupunkt highs
greg_jobes 
Member - Posts: 36
Member spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2006 at 4:55 PM / IP Logged  
No, you don't need a two batterys. The only reason you would need a new battery would be if you listen with the car off.
jsesterly 
Member - Posts: 25
Member spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2006 at 10:08 PM / IP Logged  

HO alt should do the trick, unless your doing a lot of listening to it with the car off.. then the Alt isnt going to help you.

arrow12 
Silver - Posts: 527
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2006 at 10:14 PM / IP Logged  
They are right.  A second battery won't help keep up voltage, but the high output alternator will do it.  I suggest that you get your battery checked anyways.  Look into a Red Top.  If you plan on listening a lot with the car off, then you will need another battery or two.
That's my opinion. Take it, leave it, or correct me.
oscarurban 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2006 at 10:24 PM / IP Logged  
be careful, when you turn off your radio, u can burn your electrical system,  bulb ligths etc. how many amperes you need???????????
godblessdremil 
Silver - Posts: 273
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2006 at 11:01 PM / IP Logged  
Well if its a factory battery i really would up it to a yellow top.
ragoal12 
Copper - Posts: 135
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2006 at 11:16 PM / IP Logged  

oscarurban wrote:
be careful, when you turn off your radio, u can burn your electrical system,  bulb ligths etc. how many amperes you need???????????

um how is he going to fry the electrical system???

an ho alt. should do the trick... but if your running a stock battery put an optima red top under the hood.. upgrade the BIG 3 otherwise the ho alternator is useless... if voltage still drops you may need another battery as u have a lot of power and it will give your system more stored power and the ho alt will have no problem charging the 2nd battery..

S.O.B custsoms.. South Omaha, Nebraska

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic