icon

Short?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
thapimpfromchi 
Silver - Posts: 616
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2006 at 3:04 AM / IP Logged  

hey guys. this is my buddies story. He posted it on a honda website, but i figure u guru's here would be better off tryin to figure this out.  here is a link to the site he posted on, u can read it there along with all the responses we've received or u can check it out here. http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1479283 we've already attempted trying different grounds, so thats not it this is kinda long, but we need help. thanks in advance.:

89 honda civic si hatch, turbo'd, battery relocated to the bag via amplifier wiring kit (4 guage wire) Ok, problems started last nite. Friend went to get into the backseat of my hatch, kicked off the amplifier power wire, (i have the amp behind my driver seat, usually dont have passengers so was never a problem), but the wire gets knocked into the ground or just the amp itself, no biggy. So i turn the car off, reconnect the amp, and go to start the car and it clicks rapidly and doesnt start, and i let it sit for a second, try again and theres no reaction when i turn the ignition key. I'm thinkin the battery is just dead so i switch with the battery from my other car, and same results, no response at all when the ignition is turned in any position. So today I had a friend try to jump me, thinkin that maybe the batterys are too weak and that doesnt work either. Hook up the mulitmeter and with the car in the off position it shows full voltage, as soon as its turned to an on position the voltage drops down low, and it does this with the jumper cables hooked up to my friend's car as well. He thinks theres a short grounding out somewhere because he found continuity btwn some power and ground spots, but it could have also potentially been there b4 this problem, my car is ghetto as shhh. I am stumped and have no ideas. Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Update:

i have electrical response with everything, turn out my buddy had the radio fuse out the other day so it appeared that i had no dash or clock lights or anything. But everything works, headlights hazards and radio, but when i turn the car to the start position theres no clicks from the starter or anything and everything kinda goes dead.

another update:

Ok now the headlights dont work. When the car is turned to the acc position, the radio comes on and the clock works, but when it is turned one more to the ON position, everything dies. Or if i try to turn the headlight on while the car is off or in the acc position, the headlights dont work and if its in the acc position the radio dies. Also tried these same tests with my friend trying to jump the car because i assumed the battery was drained, same results. And my battery reads 12.5 volts.

EDIT:

Its weird cus i just went back outside tried the key in acc and it worked, tried it in ON and it worked, but i tried to do my headlights and the battery dies still, and it does the same if i try to go to start. And after trying that twice, it doesnt work in the ON position now either.

1990 Honda Civic HB:
Clarion DXZ545MP H.U.
2- 6.5" Power Acoustik interiors
Diamond Audio 600.1 amp
Diamond Audio 15" M6MKII
Pyramid PB881X 4 CH. Amp
JellyNutz 
Copper - Posts: 85
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2006 at 9:27 AM / IP Logged  
It is likely you have a short in your ignition switch.  I would try to replace it and then go from there...
Jesse
Joseph's Car Everything
ss-installer 
Silver - Posts: 444
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2006 at 11:15 AM / IP Logged  
sounds to me like a bad relay somewhere. go to auto zone and get a couple of relays. swithch out the relays under the hood, starting with the starter relays. if it keeps doing it then switch out 2 more.
sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2006 at 11:44 AM / IP Logged  
It sounds more like you blown a main power fuse. Use a volt meter to check that each main power fuse under the hood has power. You may want to redo some of your wiring especially at the amp for safety reasons.
sparky
thapimpfromchi 
Silver - Posts: 616
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2006 at 8:15 PM / IP Logged  
hey, thanks for those replys. i told him about them. i dont know if he tried any of that yet, but does anyone else have any thoughts? in case neither of those work?
1990 Honda Civic HB:
Clarion DXZ545MP H.U.
2- 6.5" Power Acoustik interiors
Diamond Audio 600.1 amp
Diamond Audio 15" M6MKII
Pyramid PB881X 4 CH. Amp
youngone 
Silver - Posts: 269
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2006 at 8:38 PM / IP Logged  
its got to be a relay. or in the other case i think you might have fried something in the electrical system that you cant distinguish by trying your lights and deck and stuff. when your friend did this did he hit anything with force accidentally, did you hear a crack or some other noise when this happened. are any warning lights coming on. if i think of anything else ill post.
Aaron
Want to know some good equipment- JL,Adire Audio,Mcintosh,Brax,Helix,Eclipse,JBL,RE,Dimoand Audio,Zapco, pritty much anything DYhon,Forbidden recommend
On the12volt you give some info and you get in
menace2sobriety 
Silver - Posts: 394
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2006 at 9:21 PM / IP Logged  
Relay, solenoid , or the fusible link. that what it sounds like.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic