icon

fine multistrand wire or thick?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mgoddard2 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: January 10, 2006 at 12:32 AM / IP Logged  

I have 2 different types of 4 gauge wire for  powering my amplifiers approximately 60 amps of current being drawn through the wire, and was wondering what is better, a very fine multistrand wire, or a coarse multistrand wire and why one or the other?

Thanks

Matt

menace2sobriety 
Silver - Posts: 394
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 10, 2006 at 1:16 AM / IP Logged  
they say current runs on the outside of a strand of wire. (tho there is no possible way to test this theory) so finer the strand the better you are.
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 10, 2006 at 9:47 AM / IP Logged  
menace is correct.....the more fine strands you can get, the "easier" the current will flow...It will not flow "more" current.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 10, 2006 at 1:36 PM / IP Logged  
The above posts express theories.  There is no measurable difference in performance for any power cable from solid core to million-strand.  There is no such thing (scientifically) as "making it easier for current to flow."  As long as the insulation is sufficient for the voltage and the total cross-sectional area of the conductor is sufficient for the expected current flow, wire is wire.  Finer conductors tends to make it more flexible and easier to handle.
Support the12volt.com
mgoddard2 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: January 10, 2006 at 5:16 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the input I appreciate the help

Matt

russ lund 
Copper - Posts: 188
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 11, 2006 at 12:05 PM / IP Logged  
Your correct DYohn.I'm a electronics instructor P/T and my favorite is DC and AC theory and ckt's.I love the sales people that brag about their multi stranded cable carrying better than some thicker stranded stuff.Yes it is accepted theroy that current will "skin"  .But that is for alternating current.So in other words it would make a difference for your speaker cable but not your power cable.Just get the proper gauge of cable and make sure it is flexible enough for your installation.
BigDog
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 11, 2006 at 12:27 PM / IP Logged  

russ lund wrote:
.But that is for alternating current.So in other words it would make a difference for your speaker cable but not your power cable.Just get the proper gauge of cable and make sure it is flexible enough for your installation.

From what I was told, skin effect doesn't even become measureable with super sensitive equipment until the very limits of our hearing at around the 20kHz point.  So I don't think you need to worry about your speaker wire either.  Unfortunately there is a lot of voo-doo marketing coming from wire/cable companies that spread this stuff to sell their products.

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 11, 2006 at 1:11 PM / IP Logged  
Steven Kephart wrote:

russ lund wrote:
.But that is for alternating current.So in other words it would make a difference for your speaker cable but not your power cable.Just get the proper gauge of cable and make sure it is flexible enough for your installation.

From what I was told, skin effect doesn't even become measureable with super sensitive equipment until the very limits of our hearing at around the 20kHz point.  So I don't think you need to worry about your speaker wire either.  Unfortunately there is a lot of voo-doo marketing coming from wire/cable companies that spread this stuff to sell their products.

That is right, Steven.  Skin effects become measureable at RF frequencies (MHz range and above.)  It is not applicable to audio.

Support the12volt.com
czesc 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2006 at 12:23 AM / IP Logged  

Not to beat a dead horse, but if you would like some more information on skin effect theory you can find one here:

http://www.audioquest.com/pdfs/aq_cable_theory.pdf

For power it does not matter.  For speakers a solid core conductor is best.

czesc

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic