icon

up firing or down firing memphis PR 15's

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
memphis11223344 
Member - Posts: 34
Member spacespace
Posted: January 10, 2006 at 9:45 AM / IP Logged  
i have a 03 durango and six memphis PR15d4 and i was wondering what will be a greater spl. up firing them or building a wall?.
6 memphis PR 15's sealed enclosure. indash mobile video system. alphasonik HC800PMA 3000 rms
MECP first class installer
kirktcashalini 
Silver - Posts: 492
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 10, 2006 at 2:47 PM / IP Logged  
well i see you want spl and you have a sealed box? if you want puuuure SPL go for a vented box. i had a vented upfiring box in my suv, and it made serious SPL, now i run sealed downfiring, and the sound quality is amazing, and spl is alright too. a proper vented box would throw spl up alot either way probably.
99 Blazer LT.   Yellow Top. Big 3. Infinity Kappa Speakers All Around. Jensen CD/DVD flip out. 2 Infinity Kappa Perfect 12DVQs powered by a Alpine PDX600.1 (in one custom box, building a FG box)
memphis11223344 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 10, 2006 at 8:18 PM / IP Logged  
uhmmm im making a sealed box thats the only way ill be able to fit the 6 15's they reqyuire 3 cubic feet per sub so im gunna lay them all down and make them firing up. i have a vented box now qwith 4 memphis PR and i had it metered and it hit 146.4 i was happy with it but now i got used to it and i want more lol
6 memphis PR 15's sealed enclosure. indash mobile video system. alphasonik HC800PMA 3000 rms
youngone 
Silver - Posts: 269
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 10, 2006 at 9:52 PM / IP Logged  
sounds like a plan gust find out if it is safe to fire them up. gravety might play a part in this setup.
Want to know some good equipment- JL,Adire Audio,Mcintosh,Brax,Helix,Eclipse,JBL,RE,Dimoand Audio,Zapco, pritty much anything DYhon,Forbidden recommend
On the12volt you give some info and you get in
ddsubman 
Copper - Posts: 70
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 10, 2006 at 11:42 PM / IP Logged  

memphis11223344 wrote:
uhmmm im making a sealed box thats the only way ill be able to fit the 6 15's they reqyuire 3 cubic feet per sub so im gunna lay them all down and make them firing up. i have a vented box now qwith 4 memphis PR and i had it metered and it hit 146.4 i was happy with it but now i got used to it and i want more lol

146.4?  4 Memphis 15"s' should hit harder than that! If you are running a vented box now, what size are the ports, how deep, and in what direction are they pointing? With the right box you should be able to get a lot closer to 150db or more with 4 15s' at 3,000 wrms. I don't think 6 woofers at 3,000 wrms in a sealed enclosure will be much louder than what you have now. If you want spl, go ported. It may take some trial and error, but I think you can do a lot better with what you already have with the right box/port configuration. Save the other 2 woofers to use as spares.......

Gettin' deafer by the day.......96' GMC yukon-Eclipse CD 5442HU
MA Audio HK4000D-Digital Designs 9515F
150+db with one woofer...DD rules!!!!
menace2sobriety 
Silver - Posts: 394
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 11, 2006 at 1:56 AM / IP Logged  
carefull with spl. i had a system back in 92 that hit i Believe was 136 d's with just two fosgate series ones. as i got more use to it i added more. now when im on the phone i notice that my right ear i hear thing's more "natural" as far as phones go (if that makes any sense?) and my left ear sounds like im listening to a tin can.
memphis11223344 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 11, 2006 at 9:42 AM / IP Logged  
yea i know what you mean about losing my hearing. but as for
ddsubman i had my jbl 1200.1 hooked up to it so i wasnt getting the full potenital out of the subs but now that i havemy alphasonik 800hc i can hear and deff feel the difference. but im not sure if i should go sealed or ported. i do know all about the phisics of vented and sealed i learned so much about that shhh when i got MECP certified. but the other day at best buy we put in 6 15's sealed in a expy and it sounded loud as hell. but idk im kinda leaning towards sealed just b/c im working with a limited amount of room in my durango. im taking out the 3rd row seat and filling it up with the 15's and if i went the vented route then i wouldnt be able to build my side walls for all my amps. so idk i think ill just try the sealed waya dns see how it sounds. but my main concern is shoould i lay them down or make a wall i called up memphis about an hour ago and they said it will be fine to have them up firing. but im just wondering whart will sound good.

memphis11223344 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 11, 2006 at 9:43 AM / IP Logged  
o and i metered my system with my new amp and it hit a strong 152.5db
youngone 
Silver - Posts: 269
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 11, 2006 at 3:25 PM / IP Logged  
god man! the reason you are getting used to it is cause you are very slowly losing your hearing. hear try this turn down your system for a little wile and then turn it up to were you have it now. it will be loud as sheeeeet. your ears get used to what they are listening to. that is wy after a wile of listening to it it sounds quieter. i bet the hair on your head move, and the air is pushed out of your stomach to when they hit.
Want to know some good equipment- JL,Adire Audio,Mcintosh,Brax,Helix,Eclipse,JBL,RE,Dimoand Audio,Zapco, pritty much anything DYhon,Forbidden recommend
On the12volt you give some info and you get in
memphis11223344 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2006 at 9:36 AM / IP Logged  
lol that sounds about right. when i first get into my car every day its like crazy loud but after a while i can still fell the vibration and my rear-view mirror still falls off the windshild but its not as loud. so yea i guess i am getting used to it but i want MORE! im a bass head and thats all i do.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic