icon

Is $700 enough to complete a system?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
shrug53 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: January 10, 2006 at 10:53 AM / IP Logged  

OK, I already have my head unit (actually a carputer which I built with full mp3 jukebox and FM tuner).

Now I will be building a custom sub and amp box while I attend Mobile Dynamics.  This leaves me the task of buying adequate equipment on my remaining budget of $700.00

Hopefully you folks can help since I am still fairly new to this business, having spent the last 20 years in the computer industry.

Here is what I would like to have, 2 ten or twelve inch sub-woofer, mids, and tweeters.  One or two amps to power it all. Plus whatever else I may need (i.e. caps, EQ, preamp, etc.).

Any suggestion on a good set of equipment I can buy to complete my system on my given budget?  I appreciate all advice!

Shrug

1987 Ford F-150 extended cab

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 10, 2006 at 11:02 AM / IP Logged  
I suggest you go visit one or two local independent dealers, explain what you said here, and start listening to some different systems.  You will want to form your own opinions of the sounds you hear from the different brands and types of speakers.  With your goal of getting into the industry, some networking in your community could be nothing but beneficial to you...not only for your short-term system goals but for your long-term career goals as well.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
speedwayaudio1 
Silver - Posts: 879
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 10, 2006 at 11:02 AM / IP Logged  
yes and no. it depends on the product. if you want jl or somthing on that level 700 will buy you the subs. if you want legacy then you have more than enough. all i can say id shop around.
Big Dave
malibu04 
Member - Posts: 40
Member spacespace
Posted: January 10, 2006 at 12:46 PM / IP Logged  
look for highdesertaudio on ebay.  It is the factory outlet for rockford fosgate. 
oxygen65 
Silver - Posts: 252
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 10, 2006 at 5:51 PM / IP Logged  
for 700 bux i would say what malibu04 said to do go look on ebay, this is what i would say you can get yourself, you can get 2 12" type r subs off there for around 250 and you can get a set of alpine components for about 125, you get yourself a 4 gauge wireing kit for a daul amp setup say around 50 bux for a good one then you have the rest of that money to shop around for what kind of amps you want, i would not recomend going alpine with the amps becuse they are a bit pricey althought visonik has some really nice amps out there for dirt cheap, so in other words yes you can make ur system for under 700 bux but you are gonna have to do that work to find the deals
luckydevil 
Silver - Posts: 365
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 10, 2006 at 7:57 PM / IP Logged  
Crutchfield has Infinity 1240 subs for $100, buy one get one free. I would start there and then buy a nice amp for them.
dstang24 
Copper - Posts: 98
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 10, 2006 at 8:04 PM / IP Logged  

I attended Mobile Dynamics in Phoenix last summer.  I actually live locally too... They can give you large discounts while you're going to school on Alpine equipment.  I had the opportunity to purchase anything they make for a rather good discount.  You should call ahead and see what kind of student accomidations they will have for you. 

The reason they do this is so that in phase 4 you can have some equipment to install.

-Dstang24

Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: January 11, 2006 at 12:39 AM / IP Logged  
I dunno what you are expecting for gear, but you can pick up a pair of JL W1's or a set of MTX 4500 or 5500, grab a small mono block by a company like bazooka and then snag a set of component by a company like infinity for under or are 700 dollars. It might not be enough to compete with but it wil sound good for everyday listening
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic