Different tachs for different scenarios

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
cpgoose 
Gold - Posts: 1,098
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 10, 2006 at 2:07 PM / IP Logged  
Hey guys...
Now that it's winter, my remote starter seems to be having some issues. When I start it very early (6am or so) when it's very cold, sometimes it just doesn't start. It makes the effort, and then never cranks. I think (I haven't tested enough times to confirm) that when I leave the front defroster on that's when it usually has the most problems trying to start. If I leave it off, the car usually remote starts just fine (even if it is cold and early).
I guess I was curious if I have to re-learn the tach signal with the defroster running? Is there a difference, or is the tach signal always the same?
Thanks!
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 10, 2006 at 2:15 PM / IP Logged  
tach will have nothing to do with your defroster... relearn tach in the morning when it's cold and try that.... or try a different tach source such as an injector.....
Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
cpgoose 
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 10, 2006 at 2:28 PM / IP Logged  
Cool, I'll try learning it tomorrow morning...thanks.
Is it possible that my tach signal could have gone bad? I've been using the same one for about 2 years with no problem. (Unless of course my connection is coming loose :-)
cpgoose 
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 10, 2006 at 2:47 PM / IP Logged  
Yes, it's not evening cranking. You know how when you do a remote start, and all the lights on the dash turn on (and for me, the auto seatbelt rolls up)...it does all of that, and then stops. It never even attempts to crank.
I think you might be right about the battery. Again, this only happens when it's very cold out. I think my battery might just not like this weather.
snotdobbs 
Copper - Posts: 148
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 15, 2006 at 1:10 AM / IP Logged  
what type of vehicle are you talking about?
rdlybeck 
Copper - Posts: 81
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 15, 2006 at 11:12 AM / IP Logged  
Check your battery, you may need more "cold cranking amps"  You can take it in to a checker auto store and they will test it for free.
Ryan Lybeck
"Wiring diagrams are nice but still double check with DMM"!
cpgoose 
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 15, 2006 at 1:41 PM / IP Logged  
It's a 92 Integra.
It did it again this morning. We got a few inches of snow last night and the temp was about 30 this morning. My doors were frozen shut and it wouldn't remote start. I had to climb through the trunk and start it with the key. It started ok, just cranked a little slower.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic