icon

97 mustang cobra, mach 460

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dohc97 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: January 11, 2006 at 12:28 AM / IP Logged  

Im installing a new hu into my 97 ford mustang cobra with the mach460 and i need some confirmation that the harness im using is the right one. I previously installed a hu into another 97 but used a line output converter to feed the amps. The stereo shop where i bought the cd player from said that i could use metra kit number 70-5700 and that i didnt need an output converter just a way to turn on the factory amps. Im wondering if this is possible or if he just gave me the wrong kit?

memphis11223344 
Member - Posts: 34
Member spacespace
Posted: January 11, 2006 at 9:53 AM / IP Logged  
well if it has a mach sound system then your going to be looking at some money to replace the facory harness. and be careful b/c if theres a shhh load of wires connecting into yuoru facory deck then theres prob ABS controlls or air bag controlls in the deck and if you want to put a new one into the car then you would have to re wire the facory deck into the trunck or somthing. but when ever we have to do an install at best buy on a mach sound system we just usally re wire the car and throw a new deck in. only takes about 2 hours. cuz usally if the customer wants a new deck installed there prob gonna want new speakers to.
6 memphis PR 15's sealed enclosure. indash mobile video system. alphasonik HC800PMA 3000 rms
MECP first class installer
jstruckman 
Copper - Posts: 465
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 11, 2006 at 10:40 AM / IP Logged  
Just use a line output converter or use preamps level of the new head unit to go into the factory amplifier. There is no ABS or airbag controls in the radio, i have never seen that in any stock radio. There is nothing to replacing that head unit. And the amp turn on is a 5 volts turn on, so throw a resistor on your amp turn on lead, usually a 10k resistor will cut it down to about 5 volts.
Jazzy
dohc97 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: January 11, 2006 at 8:07 PM / IP Logged  

I ended up using the preamp signal, it was hard to find the connector as some people said it was out of production.  I was looking for the line output converter because i have used it before but had no time to drive to wallmart to get it.  Got lucky at one small shop that had the preamp adapter that feeds into the factory amps.

By the way the metra kit that was given to me at the original shop was the wrong one, but he traded me for the right one and then i had to find the preamp adapter on my own. I had no problems wiring up everything and it works fine now. Memphis im sorry that you guys at best buy dont know the right way to do this install, im not knocking on you but it kind of shows what level of installers can be found at your bestbuy/circuit city.  I knew how to install the hu from the beginning just didnt have time to get the line output converter because its a far drive to wallmart, so i was going to try an alternative(turned out to be wrong). When i did my buddies 98 gt with the mach460 best buy quoted him over $250 because they told him the same exact thing you said: need to rewire the car otherwise your cd player will not work with the factory amps.  As jstruckman said there are no airbag or abs controllers integrated into the hu, im an auto tech so i should know.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic