icon

Adding Fog Lights to tC

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ancientlegend 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: January 11, 2006 at 10:28 AM / IP Logged  

Hi, I'm new here and tried to search this out before posting but couldn't find out what I'm doing wrong.

I also wanted to include a schematic to make it easier to understand but my MS paint and uploading skills aren't sufficient. 

My project is to legally wire Hella aftermarket fog lights to a '05 Scion tC.  I'm using two relays (A & B).  Here's what I've done:

1. Run power from battery+ thru fuse to A30

2. Run wire from A86 to B30

3. Run wire from A87 to fog light+

4. Run wire from A85 to ground

5. Run wire from B86 to high beam feed

6. Run wire from B87a thru illuminated switch to low beam feed

7. Run wire from B85 to ground

8. B87 is not used

The problem is: They work backwards.  The fog lights come on with the high beams and off with the low beams (like driving lights are supposed to do).

Among other things, I've tried reversing the low and high beam wires to the relay but the fogs continue to work backwards.  This should be an easy fix but I sure can't figure it out.

Any ideas?

ff-mike 
Copper - Posts: 199
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 11, 2006 at 1:22 PM / IP Logged  
You overcomplicated it- only 1 relay is needed
30 12V fused
85 ground
86 from switch hooked to low beam
87 to fogs
ancientlegend 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2006 at 8:23 AM / IP Logged  

Okay, I tried Mike's configuration and it is better.  The problem now is that the fogs go on with the low beams but stay on with the high beams.

I'm thinking that I still need that second relay to shut the fogs off when I switch to the brights.

If I put the second relay in the fog light feed wire and use the high beam feed as a trigger for it, I should be able to interupt the power to the fogs when the high beams are switched on.

So, on the second relay I would have 30 to battery, 85 to ground and 86 to high beam feed.  The 87 from the first relay would go where on the second relay? 87 or 87a?

I think it would go to 87a and then the 87 would go to fogs.

Sorry if I'm being dense, lol.

ff-mike 
Copper - Posts: 199
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2006 at 8:59 AM / IP Logged  
Hmm, they should go out when the low beams go out....
Anyways, the second relay is easy
b30 - connect to a87
b85 - ground
b86 - high beam feed
b87 - no connection or driving lamps
b87a - fog lamps
On relay 1, you can move the switch source from the low beam to the parking lamps. The fogs will then be allowed to come on with them, but will cut out when high beams are on. US DOT legal.
If you add driving lamps to b87, they will only be on with the high beams
ancientlegend 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2006 at 9:05 AM / IP Logged  

Mike, thanks for all your help.

I think the problem is that my lows don't go out when the highs come on.  It goes from two lamps to four lamps.

ancientlegend 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 17, 2006 at 9:31 AM / IP Logged  

It works!

The only change required from Mike's suggestion was b87 to fog lights rather than b87a.

Now I can do my wife's car too!

pballboy11 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: March 13, 2006 at 3:53 PM / IP Logged  
Im new to installing foglights....I have Hella Optilux 2500's and I'm trying to install them into my 05 tc. Can I see some pictures of the wiring you did? And how did u feed the wire through the firewall, dril your own holes or follw another opening. Thanks
ancientlegend 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2006 at 8:44 AM / IP Logged  

pballboy,

The wiring is pretty straight forward once you figure out how to connect the relays.   If you want the fogs to go out when the high beams are clicked on, you'll need two relays.  The relays are SPDT (single pole, double throw) and are usually 30 amps.  You can use either the 4 prong or 5 prong relay (but you'll only be using 4 of them).    Next to each prong , there will be a number imprinted on the plastic.  The relays only cost a few dollars each and there are a bunch of on line sources.

Okay.  We'll call one relay "A" and the other one "B".  (I put a colored dot on one so I wouldn't get confused.)  Here's how you connect them:

• A30 goes to a power source.  I went to the positive  terminal on the battery.  Make sure you put a fuse in the wire as close to the battery as you can.
  • A85 goes to a ground.  I used the radiator frame support.  Make sure you clean off the paint to get a good metal to metal connection.
  • A86 goes through the dash switch to the low beam hot wire.  If you're using an illuminated switch, it will have a third pole on the back that needs to go to a good ground spot inside the cabin.  OPTION:  You can have your fogs come on with the parking lights by connecting to the parking light hot wire instead of the low beam hot wire.
  • A87 goes to B30.
  • B85 goes to ground just like A85.  I used the same point on the radiator frame.
  • B86 goes to the high beam hot wire.
  • B87 goes to the fog light feed wire.

I did not go through the firewall although that is certainly an option.  (Search www.scionlife.com for locations).  I ran mine along the driver's side fender on the outside of the hood hinge.  I then dropped it down the front of the driver door frame and through the hole used for the power window/door lock wires.  Just make sure that the wires don't get pinched between the door and the frame.  Remove the kick panel (one nut and two or three clips) to pull the wire through and feed it up behind the dash to the switch location.

If you follow these instructions step by step you should have no problems.  Take your time and make good secure connections. 

Good Luck!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic