icon

How can I get a Horn Chirp?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Zilverado 
Copper - Posts: 92
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2006 at 8:41 AM / IP Logged  

So I’ve been thinking I’d like to add a something to the remote starter setup I installed in my vehicle a while back. I would like to have the vehicle give a horn chirp when I remotely lock and unlock the doors. The vehicles park lights flash, but I would also like an audible signal for when I am not in visual range of the vehicle. I think this should be easy enough to do by just tying into the wires from the module that send a negative (-) pulse to the door lock/unlock when the remote is pressed. I’d likely need to add a relay to provide power to the horn and possibly some diodes to keep the horn from chirping when the interior door lock switches are operated manually.

But here’s the part I don’t know about...

The remote is also set to send a locking pulse when the brake is depressed for the first time (locking the doors), and then an unlocking pulse when the ignition is finally turned off (unlocking the doors). Is there any way to keep the horn from getting a signal in these two situations, ‘cause the signal going through the remote wires would also want to go down the wire to chirp the horn, correct?

Is there any way of stopping this signal? I was thinking of more diodes, but I can’t see that working???

Zilverado,
Backyard Mechanic
1986 Chevy Truck & 1992 Nissan Pathfinder
dualsport 
Silver - Posts: 983
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2006 at 10:58 AM / IP Logged  
You have to find some signal that's different between the conditions where you want the chirp vs when you want it blocked; possibly like the ignition power.
Assuming you only want the chirp when the ignition is off, you can use the ignition power line for the coil control on a relay to gate out the chirps when it's on.
Zilverado 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2006 at 11:21 AM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the quick response - - I appreciate it.

I was kind of thinking along those lines as well. Idealy, I'd like to have the horn chirp even when the ignition is "on", but if not, this would certainly be acceptable. I was actually thinking maybe I could wire into the vehicle's ignition harness in such a way that the actual turning of the key to the "on" position would gate the relay. Of course, in my mind it seems this would maybe not keep the horn from chirping when turning the vehicle "off" (when the module sends an "unlock" pulse).

Either way, I have a basic understanding of electronics, but a schematic of how this would work (particularly wiring up the relay) would be great. Is there some way sombody could sketch something and post it???

Thanks again.

Zilverado,
Backyard Mechanic
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 12, 2006 at 2:38 PM / IP Logged  

You may be able to use the keysense wire to control a relay.  When the key is in the ignition have it break the horn trigger. 

You could also tie the remote start starter output to the horn, so the horn honks when the car is cranking.  I had a similar system in college when I lived in a bedroom with no windows, whenever my remote starter energized the crank output it would trigger my DEI pager.  Oh how I miss Toledo in the Winter.... 

Kevin Pierson
dualsport 
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2006 at 3:05 PM / IP Logged  
You could try this-
How can I get a Horn Chirp? -- posted image.
You may want to change the values of R1 and C1 for whatever delay time is needed, this may be longer than you need, in the range of about 5 seconds. Use a smaller C1 for a shorter delay time-
If the lock/unlock pulse is too long and the honk is more than a short toot, you can add more stuff to shorten it-
Add fuses as necessary, etc.
The keysense is a good idea if you have it; then you can delete all the delay relay nonsense.
Zilverado 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2006 at 5:50 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the great info guys - - I love this place.

Yes, my vehicle has a keysense system - - - what a great idea. Now I just have to figure out which wire that is, but I don't expect that that will be too tough.

So if I find that wire, does that wire simply take the place of the timing stuff and tie into terminals 30 and 85 in the schematic above? If so, this looks pretty straight forward.

Zilverado,
Backyard Mechanic
dualsport 
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2006 at 6:28 PM / IP Logged  

If the keysense output puts out 12V when the key is in the ignition, you can run that to term 85 of K3 above, and ground coil input term 86.  Then the top relay gets energized and cuts power to the horn relay whenever you have the key in.

You'd need a heavy gauge wire for the K3 com terminal 30, since it passes the horn current, so you have to keep it separate from the coil input, since the keysense line won't be able to put that much current out.  

For that matter, I might prefer to buffer the keysense input using the Q1 and everything beyond that, just to make sure it doesn't have any unwanted effects on the keysense line, in case it's not able to drive the relay coil of K3 directly.  

If someone can confirm that the keysense output is able to drive the relay without any problems, then you don't need Q1 and can delete it.

The only thing I kinda dislike is that the relay is energized and drawing power whenever the key is in the ignition, so there's a chance of draining your battery unnecessarily if leave the key in the car for a long while without it running, say like in accessory position listening to the radio.  Won't be a lot of drain, but still. 

If there's any possibililty of that being a problem, maybe we can figure something to prevent that too.

dualsport 
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2006 at 6:43 PM / IP Logged  

It just occurred to me you should probably be using a negative signal for an existing OEM horn relay, if that's how it's set up now, which is likely-

If that's the case, then you'd want to change things around so it puts out a ground signal rather than the 12V shown, putting a ground  on term 30 of the upper relay, and separating 30 and 85 on the lower one.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic