icon

Loss of Power to Subs

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kandytac 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2006 at 2:44 PM / IP Logged  
Hi i just bought a 1999 Toyota tacoma with 4 memphis twelves and a componet system.  I iput a cd player and the system plays for maybe half a minute and both amps to the woofes and the one to the componet system shuts off.  It is wired from the head unit to an equalizer and from there to the amps. I have checked ground wires and wires that maybe touching but it still does the same.  It also has a cap installed. I don't know it that may be the problem. Any one have any suggestion to the problem
je
czesc 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2006 at 7:07 PM / IP Logged  
You might need to be more specific when you say the system shuts off.  Your amps cut out?  Your fuses blow?  Do all the amps shut down or just a few?  Is your power wire from the battery a thick enough gauge?  To troubleshoot I would remove the cap and hook up one amp at a time.  This way you can build up and figure out what the probelm is. Thats about all I can say without knowing the system better.
czesc
kandytac 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2006 at 9:47 PM / IP Logged  

The system has two amps. One for the subs and one for the hights.  Both amps shut off but the cd player still plays but no music is heard.  The fuses do not blow but the amps do turn off.  The cap has the right wire; it is a zero gauge on of 5 fared Cap.   Could it be somethig wrong with the cap, mabe a ground wire, because when i turn the CD player off and turn it back on the amps turn back on and the music is heard for a little while.

je
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2006 at 11:34 PM / IP Logged  
Remove the cap, see what happends, turn down your gains, see what happends, clean and re-ground your amps, check the solidity of your battery connection.
2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
hobobasher 
Copper - Posts: 66
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 13, 2006 at 3:16 PM / IP Logged  
Before you stick your hands in anything mabe the decks remote turn on doesnt have enough power for the amps. Why don't you try before you do anything  put a relay on the remote turn on wire. That is most likly it it doenst have enough power to keep the amps on. Try that and tell me what happens. dont go taking apart everything cuz then it may not work right work through it one step at a time
Heres the link to see what i mean to put a relay on the remote turn on wire
https://www.the12volt.com/relays/page5.asp#rtol
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 13, 2006 at 7:48 PM / IP Logged  

Those are good suggestions.  I take it from the wording of your post that this system was bought along with the car and that you didn't do the install?  If that is the case welcome to the world of car audio troubleshooting.

Now then...when a problem starts happening soon after you have made a change in the system, the problem is usually found when you trace back through your steps.  I take it from your post that the system was working normally until you replaced the deck, correct?

The relay is a good idea but there is an intermediate troubleshooting method that will narrow things down.  Remove the turn-on wire from just one of the amps.  Does the other one that is still hooked up come on and stay running?  If it does, that will tell you that the new deck is not able to handle the load of keeping both decks turned on and that a relay in the path is needed.  If the amp fails, go to the suggestions Alpine Guy made.

If you touched or made changes to anything else at that time you need to look at those too.  And feel free to answer the questions asked here.  Welcome to the forum.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
kandytac 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 13, 2006 at 9:07 PM / IP Logged  
I think the problem already was there because when i bought the truck it did not have a cd player so i installed one.  I tried this but it does not work.  Another thing is that when the truck engine is not running but the switch is on the whole system will work without a problem.  It is only until i turn on the truck and drive it that the amps cut off.
je
hobobasher 
Copper - Posts: 66
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 13, 2006 at 9:11 PM / IP Logged  
that doesnt mean just because it doesnt have a head unit in it when you bought it doesnt mean it had the problem. It may have but thats mearly an assumtion and assumtions lead to mistakes. Now i am thinking your alt is to blame. BUt it could have had an expensive lcd screen in it or something and they pulled it out and for that you cant blame them but idk why they left the music. Probably to sell it and start fresh some people like doing that which is cool.
Just do yourself a favor dont assume lol bad idea. Don't take it as im being rude im not i just dont want to see you screw yourself over.
Check the alt get it tested that may be at fault and if its a stock alt with that kinda music the diodes could be gone in the alt. you may need to replace it get it tested

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic