icon

Molex Door Boots

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
meltingplastic 
Copper - Posts: 225
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2006 at 4:05 PM / IP Logged  
So how do u guys get through molex door boots like on nissans and some jeeps? as of now i have no really good way of doing it.. basically if i can i disconnect the molex and get the wiring outside of the car and reconnect it... find an open spot and drill a small hole in the molex for the wires without going near other wires.
Driving a Bagged, Caddied 02 s10
tbone587 
Copper - Posts: 167
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2006 at 4:59 PM / IP Logged  
Usually the way I do it when there is a molex is to just drill my own holes on the car and the door and use a piece of rubber wire loom.. 
mike swanson 
Copper - Posts: 290
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2006 at 8:04 PM / IP Logged  
an open spot and drill a small hole in the molex for the wires without going near other wires.
Do that.
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 12, 2006 at 11:14 PM / IP Logged  

The problem with doing that with Nissans is that their door panels retain a TON of water.  12 hours after it rains I can put my window all the way down, and then back up and my window will be covered in water.

When you run a wire though the molex plug it creates an avenue for water to travel.  Right under the plug on many Nissans is the Body Control Module.  I've read about a couple people with 350Zs and G35s having to replace the BCM due to water damage.  Its kind of funny because the ECU is mounted right behind the battery, on the other side of the firewall, and at first people were drilling holes right over the ECU and runnng power wires.  It seems that critical component placing wasn't too thought out on these cars.

Unfortunately, there really isn't a better way.  A lot of these cars make it hard to drill new holes and make it look professional.  Just make sure that once you break the waterproof seal they installed in the factory that any water leakage won't hurt anything important.

Kevin Pierson
05gt 
Silver - Posts: 628
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2006 at 11:17 PM / IP Logged  

some good points there

yah I had to drill my own holes in the plugs to get into the car from the door, the vehicle is a 2005 Ford

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic