icon

aftermarket door locks

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dannyricks 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: January 13, 2006 at 3:18 AM / IP Logged  
Trying to install aftermarket power door locks to my 69 nova. I have an audiovox prestige alarm. AP 150 or AP50 or something like that. I installed a pair of power door locks earlier (2 wire) and they didn't have enought juice to push it all the way up. So I bought these new ones recently along with relays this time. But now I insalled them with 2 relays, using the top and right ones to 12 volt power (blue and red), middle one to ground (orange), bottom one to door lock (red) and left one to alarm (green). The 2 relays are connected to the 12 vold source. I can hear each relay click when I arm/disarm respectively. But the actuator does nothing. I then put my other actuator straight up to the 2 ports on the alarm box, and they went up and down. I don't know if it'll be enough power to move the lock up and down because that's what the problem with the other set were. Is my car just too old for this or am I not doing it right? Thanks for the help. I need to know the correct way to give the actuators the most power to push them up.
Danny
ripley01 
Member - Posts: 33
Member spacespace
Posted: January 13, 2006 at 4:43 AM / IP Logged  

Relays are typically used to switch currents that the alarm output can't handle. If your alarm system can handle the current of the actuators, there's no need for relays.

If you do want to use relays, a multimeter (MM) would be nice. Assuming you got two leads from the alarm to switch the locks, these would normally be 0 Volts at rest (check with MM). When you lock, one of the leads will momentarily go to 12 Volts, then back to ground. When you unlock the other lead will do this.

I don't know about the colors you're referring to, but from the positions you describe, I think both relays are now engaged while at rest. You don't want that, because they'll be consuming a little power all the time, draining your battery. Easy to check by removing the wire to the alarm from the relay. If you hear it click when you attach it, it engages and draws power.

Assuming top = blue = 87, right = red = 85, middle = orange = 87a, bottom = red = 30, left = green = 86, I believe you need to change 85 (red) to ground to have the relays not draw power at rest. Then, wire the motors in parallel, between the two red wires from both relays. This should work.

ripley01 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 13, 2006 at 4:46 AM / IP Logged  
Another thing: to maximize the effectiviness of the actuators, you must align their axis with the direction in which the rod travels. Often, the rod is bent to clear the door. In that case, draw an (imaginary) string between the door handle and the lock. That's the optimum orientation for the actuator. Also, keep it as close as possible to that 'string'.
Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: January 13, 2006 at 6:37 AM / IP Logged  
Correct will be 85 and 87 to 12V, 87a to ground, 30 to the door actuators, and 86 to the trigger(or alarm) ground pulse output. I think that's what you have already if i understood your explaination right...
Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
dannyricks 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 13, 2006 at 12:13 PM / IP Logged  
Correct will be 85 and 87 to 12V, 87a to ground, 30 to the door actuators, and 86 to the trigger(or alarm) ground pulse output. I think that's what you have already if i understood your explaination right...
Thats how it is connected and there's nothing
the12volt 
Administrator - Posts: 3,955
Administrator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 13, 2006 at 12:24 PM / IP Logged  

If you have the relays and actuators wired as described above and shown below and the relays coils are activating, double check that you are using SPDT relays and not SPST relays. The numbers for each relay contact should be the same as those shown below.

aftermarket door locks -- posted image.

aftermarket door locks -- posted image. the12volt • Support the12volt.com
dannyricks 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 13, 2006 at 12:38 PM / IP Logged  
If you have the relays and actuators wired as described above and shown below and the relays coils are activating, double check that you are using SPDT relays and not SPST relays. The numbers for each relay contact should be the same as those shown below.
Actuators / Reverse Polarity Relay Diagram
Wired just like this
dannyricks 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 13, 2006 at 5:20 PM / IP Logged  
K i just wired them straight to the alarm box, there's 2 ports that send the signal. BUT since my car isn't a honda civic and it is old metal, there isn't enough power to push the lock all the way up, the same provlem i was having before. Any way i can give them more power?
ripley01 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2006 at 5:30 AM / IP Logged  

No, not possible, unless they're not getting enough Volts as a result of losses in the cabling. A multimeter will tell you if there is enough Volts available.

Make sure the mechanism is as smooth as possible. Service the locks, and make sure the actuator is aligned perfectly.

Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2006 at 9:33 AM / IP Logged  

Sounds silly, but how about trying two actuators?

Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic