icon

which sub is best for an RF 1000a2?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
projectprotege 
Copper - Posts: 112
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2006 at 11:39 AM / IP Logged  
im looking to put a system in my new grand prix.
the amp i currently have is a RF 1000a2.
the subs im looking at is:
(1)15 inch brahma
(1)15 inch eclipse titanium
(1)15 inch stroker
(1) 15 inch RF T2
(1)15 inch orion H2
(1)15 inch MTX 9500
im looking for both LOUD car shaking bass along with good SQ.
any help would be greatly appreciated.
ive searched in my area and no shops have any of these subs to listen to. i searched online and cant find anything that helps me, so im looking to you guys for any help.
thanks-nick
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2006 at 12:58 PM / IP Logged  
Nick, you have without knowing it made a highly contradictory statement, "im looking for both LOUD car shaking bass along with good SQ." and then wanting a 15" sub to do this with. The next largest speaker in your system is going to be a oversize 6.5" front or rear speaker by the looks of things. This creates a monster gap in frequency response. A 15" generally speaking is designed to play low notes with greater amplitude than say a 10" driver can. You have an enormous amount of power with that old amp, read the grounding sticky as it was developed after 4 failures of this exact amplifier in a GM vehicle, so it applies to you like right now. Personally, I would drop the 15" altogether and go with a pair of 12's. Chances are that they will be louder, just as deep if not deeper and still give you a much broader base of enjoyable music to listen to instead of the "one note wonder" than 99% of 15" subs are designed to be. I would look at a pair of Eclipse 12" titaniums. As they are a 4 ohm dvc sub, wire them in a series parallel circuit to net a 4 ohm load to the bridges output of your amp, max output dude and SQ to boot.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
projectprotege 
Copper - Posts: 112
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 15, 2006 at 12:46 PM / IP Logged  

thanks guys for the response....i didnt see that grounding sticky yet. i will read it right now.

the reason im looking at only one 15 is because i am only willing to spend up to $600 on the subs, as im also working on the video in the protege.

i cant find any decent 12 inch subs, that ive heard were good for that price as a pair.

do you guys have any good subs i can search and look into that you could reccomend?

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 15, 2006 at 1:44 PM / IP Logged  

Eclipse aluminums should be darn close to that price in the US. They are my standoff favorite sub for the last 8 years now. They have not dissappointed me or a customer yet.

www.eclipse-web.com

SW7124DVCT4

Build the box to 1.25 cubes sealed net volume. So about 1.45 cu.ft gross volume internal. Build the box deep enough so that if you want to, if there is not enough output, you can swap in the titanium drivers in the future.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic