icon

Remote Start in VW Passat

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mondshine 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: December 23, 2002 at 10:49 PM / IP Logged  
I am having some difficulty with a "Designtech" remote start unit in a 1999 VW Passat.  I cannot get the unit to disarm the factory alarm.  The alarm is normally disarmed with "door unlock" and armed with "lock".   I have connected the alarm disarm wire from the remote start unit to the RED / blue wire inside the driver's door.  (This wire is connected to the lock cylinder switch and grounds when the key is turned to unlock.  When I start via remote, I can read a momentary ground from the remote start unit.  When I touch the RED / blue wire to the chassis, the drivers door unlocks with one touch, all doors unlock with a second touch; yet for some reason, the remote start unit will not unlock the driver's door, and the alarm is tripped.  I assume that the only way for the remote start unit to function in this car is to have it unlock the door, start the engine and then re-lock the door.  In my situation, if I first unlock the door with the key remote, I can use the remote start to start the engine and re-lock the door.  I installed this same system in a 2000 Beetle a couple years ago and don't recall having this trouble.  Thanks in advance for any help you can give.
trusdamanr 
Copper - Posts: 116
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 24, 2002 at 7:52 AM / IP Logged  
this car
Requires a double pulse for unlock.The First Negative Pulse Disarms The Factory Alarm
mondshine 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 24, 2002 at 1:38 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the reply.
Actually I was looking for a single pulse to disarm the factory alarm.  On this car, the first pulse disarms and unlocks the door, the second pulse unlocks all remaining doors.
I did manage to solve the problem though; just FYI, by connecting the momentary ground to the passenger door unlock (inside the passenger door) instead of the driver's door.  I don't know why it made a difference, but the unit works perfectly wired this way.  The passenger door unlocks, immediately re-locks and the engine starts.  I hope this helps with other VW installs.
Thanks again, Gary Mondshine
Bmlime 
Member - Posts: 23
Member spacespace
Posted: January 25, 2003 at 3:03 PM / IP Logged  
  I have a 2003 Jetta and am experiencing the same problem .I arm my Viper 550esp wait 5 seconds.The Viper disarms but the factory doesn't disarm and the door will not unlock but if I remote start my VW i go to unlock my doors with the Viper they unlock fine also if you unlock before 5 sec it works fine. It seems that the factory alarm sleeps after 5 sec ..I do have it set up for double pulse.. Any suggestions???? Is the factory disarm in the passenger door?? Any info will be helpful..
bmlime
mondshine 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 25, 2003 at 4:20 PM / IP Logged  

The only solution that worked for me was to disarm the factory alarm from inside the passenger door with a single negative pulse.  One of my remote start units gives a second negative pulse immediately after starting to re-lock the doors which I connected inside the driver's door.  On the 2003, I am using the "sound horn" wire from the remote start unit to give the negative pulse to the driver's door lock because of a difference in the remote start unit itself. (I've done this on a 1999 and a 2003 Passat and both work fine.) 

I have no experience with the Viper alarm, but I hope this helps,   Mondshine

Bmlime 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 25, 2003 at 4:46 PM / IP Logged  
oK thanks but does the lock and unlock work fine on the aftermarket alarm.Also what colors did you hook up to in the 2003 lock and unlock and disarm.Any other info will be helpful..
bmlime
Bmlime 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 25, 2003 at 4:51 PM / IP Logged  
 OK can you disarm the factory alarm in the passenger door with the disarm wire from the viper control box and still keep the double pulse for the lock and unlock?? Did you ever try to go into the alarm module or the key lock itself?? Do you remember the wires on the 2003 in the passenger door.And if you give the passenger door a double pulse will it disarm the aftermarket and factory and also unlock all the doors..My installer is in a big dilemma and there is no info yet out on these vehicles..
bmlime
mondshine 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 25, 2003 at 5:52 PM / IP Logged  

Niether of my Passats have an aftermarket alarm so I have no idea about those hookups.  All of my lock and unlock functions are done with a single pulse.  I've read in a few places that a single pulse disarms the factory alarm and a second pusle unlocks...BUT I have never seen this work on any VW I've tampered with.  The description I gave before is the only way I could get the remote start to work.

I believe it was a RED / green to lock (inside driver's door}  and yellow/blue to unlock (inside passenger door)

While you have the driver's door apart, install one of these!  http://www.alientech.net/

Good luck, Mondshine

Bnluis 
Silver - Posts: 578
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 25, 2003 at 8:44 PM / IP Logged  
I did a 2003 passat wagon 2 weeks ago. there was no need tho hook up the disarm wire for the remote start. First open roll down window, close door and set factory alarm by locking with remote. wait about a minute or until factory alarm sets. Reach inside car to open door. When the alarm starts honking, put the key into the ignition switch and start car. If alarm stops when you put key and turn you will be fine. The only thing there is a delay when the costumer starts his car the horn will honk once before alarm tuns off. The costumer actually liked he said that he will be able to hear it, so he knows his car is going to start. and it also kept door lock without doing any extra work. HOPE IT HELPS ANYBODY.
Bmlime 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 26, 2003 at 2:09 PM / IP Logged  
Thats what my car does the horn honks once..The problem I have is that the doors don't unlock if I just arm the vehicle with the viper alarm. The factory alarm doesn't disarm and the doors don't unlock after 5 seconds before five sec or If i remote start evertything works great with the Viper. Any ideas on how to disable the factory alarm..What wires did you use in your 2003 wagon and where..Thanks
bmlime
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic