icon

Dimming Headlights

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
darthness 
Copper - Posts: 136
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 20, 2006 at 11:07 PM / IP Logged  
doing the big 3 won't help much with a stock battery and alternator.. you'd be best off to do the big 3 at the same time as you do the alternator.. and then doa red top.
diabolicaldon 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2006 at 9:16 PM / IP Logged  
Actually, doing the big three will help even with a stock alternator and battery.
99 mondeo 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2006 at 7:12 AM / IP Logged  

Thanks everyone,

I do have te biggest standard option battery on the car for the whole range (it has about 50% more capacity and discharge rate than the factory one). As for the alternator part at the moment the factory one is  90 amps which is obvoiusly not up to the job anymore but what sort of output should I be looking for? I have now managed after a lot of searching on the internet have found a place that will rebuild my excisting one to run a higher output but I need to know how many amps to aim for so I can get it done. They do have a 150amp one off the shelf but I dont really want to just go and buy it if its not going to do the job properly.

Will it damage the battery or maybe some other electrical items if i fit a 150/200amp one knowing that 85% of the time my kids are in the car with me and the volume never goes up high its only that last 15% of the time that it gets turned up and I need the extra power, Would the electrical system be overloaded with the extra power output from a high amp alternator???

Sorry for all the questions but its good to pick other peoples brains on things I'm not 100% on and you all seem to know so much about the whole subject who else better is there???

HottAccord 
Silver - Posts: 247
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2006 at 8:01 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah man, you need more JUICE!!
Im a fiberglass whore!!
willdkartunes 
Copper - Posts: 250
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2006 at 1:55 AM / IP Logged  
A whole new approach that you might wanna consider is to skip hooking your amps up to your normal car battery. If you got the room and the money you could buy 2 yellow top Optima batteries and hook them up seperately to each of your 1800 watt amps along with a bigger capacitor. (that is if you got the room for this) It might be a little more pricey but you won't have to fool with your alternator and I guarantee you'll never have a problem getting juice to those amps!
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2006 at 2:01 AM / IP Logged  

willdkartunes wrote:
A whole new approach that you might wanna consider is to skip hooking your amps up to your normal car battery. If you got the room and the money you could buy 2 yellow top Optima batteries and hook them up seperately to each of your 1800 watt amps along with a bigger capacitor. (that is if you got the room for this) It might be a little more pricey but you won't have to fool with your alternator and I guarantee you'll never have a problem getting juice to those amps!

Oh, and what do you suppose is going to charge those batteries? That puny 90 amp alternator already not cutting it?

willdkartunes 
Copper - Posts: 250
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2006 at 2:23 AM / IP Logged  
The guy said that he doesn't need the power all the time right? so really the batteries are just giving the juice to the huge capacitor which should give him the power he needs when he finally decides to use it. The Optima batteries don't take that long to recharge themselves, do they?
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2006 at 2:27 AM / IP Logged  
One red top would suffice and avoid the caps, they will compound the problem. The use of deep cycle batteries is ideal when you plan to listen to the radio while the car is off. I don't even bother with deep cycle batteries, my alternator works just fine.
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 07, 2006 at 2:10 PM / IP Logged  
99 mondeo wrote:

Can anyone help me I have just installed my new amps and am having problems with dimming headlights.

The two amps are both 1800watt 5 channel, they are connected with 4awg cable on both earth and live and the resistance is fine on all cables, There is also a 10farad powercap connected excactly as the manual that came with it said to, but still when the volume goes up a bit (nowhere near full volume) the headlights start dimming just like the old days before things like powercaps and nice wiring and high output alternators came about. There is a voltage display on the power cap and two (one for each amp) inline AVM's (amp, voltage meters) and they all display the same voltage this being normally around 14 volts which is the same voltage as at the battery.

I did have two amps before but together they came to a mere 1000watts and I never had the problem then using just a 1 farad cap, Any help would be very much appreacited as it does look really bad and obviously cant be doing the battery and alternator any good at all.

Are the amps class a/b or d? 

New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
travis n 
Member - Posts: 29
Member spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2006 at 9:57 PM / IP Logged  
uummm question, why dont you just install 2 altinators. one small one to run the car and it accesories, and a bigger one to run your amp and stuff. isolate the two altinators from each other. put a blu top or yellow top battery in the trunk, and a good cheap battery up front to run the car. would that not work better???? i doubt that they will make a braket to house two altinators, so you might have to move a few things around and make a lot of brackets. i sugest 1/4" aluminum plate, its very strong for the size, or 3/16" steel plate. you will have to get a new belt(s) to run all your new positions and accesories locations. just a thought.
Trav
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic