icon

Undecided on rear fill

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Benji999 
Copper - Posts: 81
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 17, 2006 at 3:16 PM / IP Logged  
I have a 99 Accord with an alpine cde9843 hu. I am putting JL Audio TR650CSi 6.5" component set up front. Not sure what amps yet. A JL 10w0 sub in the trunk. I have factory openings for 6x9 but I am unsure what to use back there as rear fill, I have a budget of about 100$$ for the rear fill, should I go with 6x9 or get an adapter plate and put round speakers in??
arrow12 
Silver - Posts: 527
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 17, 2006 at 8:14 PM / IP Logged  
It all depends on personal taste.  Some people like the sound of circular speakers more than oval ones.  Go to some shops and decide what you like for your range.
That's my opinion. Take it, leave it, or correct me.
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 17, 2006 at 10:42 PM / IP Logged  

Why not go with out any rear fill for the time being, then if you feel you are lacking it, add some thing.

Chances are you will decrease bass transfer by adding rear speakers by covering those "ports".

Benji999 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2006 at 10:18 AM / IP Logged  
sprahl85 wrote:
errr 6x9s will have more bass than 6 1/2's but 61/2s will sound better and you already have the bass covered with the 10, so go with the 6 1/2's. and before someone jumps my shhh this is a huge generalization   i know i know
I agree, there is 6x9's in there right now, they get loud but I like to have clean sound. Should I go with a coaxial or a midbass driver?? Given the budget I have what is something clean that you guys have had good experience with??
Benji999 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2006 at 10:37 AM / IP Logged  
dwarren wrote:

Why not go with out any rear fill for the time being, then if you feel you are lacking it, add some thing.

Chances are you will decrease bass transfer by adding rear speakers by covering those "ports".

Understandable, I will try that out first. I haven't hooked up my components or sub yet because I can seem to make up my mind on amps. It has sony 6.5 and 6x9 in that came with the car, better than stock so I can't complain but still not as good as I want it to sound. I appreciate any input you guys have.
tomfin2000 
Member - Posts: 47
Member spacespace
Posted: January 19, 2006 at 8:41 AM / IP Logged  

Have you already purchased the JL Audio TR650CSi set?   If not, you may want to take a look at a few other sets first.

I'm running the VR650CSi's, and even after I deadened the doors, I don't feel that they have enough midbass or midrange to carry a system.  I've had to rely heavily on the VR650CSx coaxials in the rear deck to help carry the sound, and that's not good.

Tweeter placement might make a difference though.  Mine are mounted high in the door panels.  I bought them and had them installed when I was a complete noob.  Now that I'm a semi-complete noob, I don't think I would install them that high or that far away from the mids again.

I'm replacing the VR650CSis this week with a pair of CDT EF-61NEO braxials.  Hopefully I'll get better results.

Benji999 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 19, 2006 at 12:05 PM / IP Logged  
Did you have them mounted in the doors or in kick panels??
tomfin2000 
Member - Posts: 47
Member spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2006 at 8:27 AM / IP Logged  

I have them mounted in the doors.   The mounting locations aren't ideal.  The tweeters are about 13" to 14" above the mids in the door panel.  However, I'm not ready to invest the money it would take to have a decent set of kick panels made and I'm not going to cut any more holes in my door panel.  Hence, the braxials.

However, I'm not sure that changes anything with respect to the JL Audio components.  I've heard similar claims to ones I've made on several car audio forums from people who have run JL Audio components.   I'm not saying that they suck, just that they're disapointing considering the price point and JL Audio's reputation.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic