icon

No power after cap!

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Mad Scientists 
Silver - Posts: 380
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2006 at 4:24 PM / IP Logged  

Yes, you should still charge the capacitor. Use a regular taillight bulb.. like an 1157. It's not really important what kind of bulb you use; if you try to charge the cap without using something to slow down the current going into the cap it'll look like a dead short to the wiring. This is not a good thing.

Try a google search on cap charging.. I'd think you'd find something there.

Jim

eaks 
Copper - Posts: 62
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2006 at 4:49 PM / IP Logged  
ok.. but i tried just running my amp and it wudn't work so i checked out my battery fuse and it was blown.. anyone know where i can find one in canada? I tried canadian tire, source and wal-mart.. none had them..
eaks 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2006 at 5:05 PM / IP Logged  
need to find a 100A 32V fuse!1
placid warrior 
Silver - Posts: 357
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2006 at 5:29 PM / IP Logged  
U might have to change the fuse type. I havent had luck with 100A fuses but if u are using 4gauge wire then u can go to future shop or something and pick up a 150A fuse, costs like 14 bucks, you'll have to make a little mounting block for the fuse though...i made one out of a 2x2 block of wood and some bolts. Just make sure u countersink the bolts so they dont touch the metal of the vehicle.
No power after cap! - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.
Another idea would be to spend a little extra and get a resetable cuircit breaker...i've seen em at beam riders for like 80-90 bucks(we got a new store by us so i had to take a look...overpriced and the service sucked)
eaks 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2006 at 5:58 PM / IP Logged  
http:///.ca/CAR-AUDIO-STEREO-12-VOLT-CIRCUIT-BREAKER-FUSE-140-AMP_W0QQitemZ5854528125QQcategoryZ32813QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
What about that? i just bought one and am going to try it out.. do i need to mount it or can it just sit under the hood?
Thanks
eaks 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2006 at 11:43 AM / IP Logged  
Hey guys.. i had an older post that i thought i wudn't reserect so i decided to ask in a new one.. ok.. i have a voodoo cap that i bought from a pawn shop in original packaging but not possitive if it was brand new.. i tried to install it without charging and blew my main fuse.. replaced it with a breaker.. then i threw a charger together by soldering wires to a tailite bulb and connect it in seris b4 the cap
Batt----Breaker----Taillight----Cap----Ground
like that.. and the lightbulb stayed on for over 5 mins.. so im not sure if its charging correctly.. i thought that it was sopose to turn off when the cap is charged.. but it didn't.. so i just shut it down and reconnected my amp and sub and dont have the cap installed yet..
Can sumone help me to get it installed?
Thanks
sk8ingsmurf 
Copper - Posts: 198
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2006 at 12:12 PM / IP Logged  
Well first off why are you installing a cap, I mean you have surely read all of hte cap user flames on this board, its like suicide to come on here and ask any questions about a cap.  With that aside you should be able to just put the cap in line with your amp(s) and it will charge when you turn the car on (you should turn the car on immediately after you do this, as it has been known to drain a battery or two in the past).  Shouldnt have to charge it off a seperate circuit, and you definitely should not disconnect or handle it while it retains its charge, you are always supposed to discharge before removing caps.
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 27, 2006 at 7:24 PM / IP Logged  

Yes, using a light bulb will charge a cap.  It's not uncommon to take 5 min or more to do.  It really depends on the wattage of the bulb you use, and the capacitance value of the cap.  A higher wattage bulb will charge a cap quicker, but a higher value cap will also take longer to charge.  Did you notice the light dimming at all?  If the light did not dim, the cap may be shorted internally (no good). 

You can test this with a multimeter.  First test the cap for any voltage at all- if it has none, it's safe to try and "ohm" it.  If it does have voltage across it, then that means it was taking a charge.  A fully discharged cap will read like a direct short initially, but as it will change, and as it charges it will theoretically reach infinity (open).

My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic