icon

How difficult to rewire 12v for sat radio

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mtnbikerchk 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2006 at 6:01 PM / IP Logged  

(I hope this is in the right forum - if its wrong, please move to correct forum)

I just bought a Sirius Starmate and I want to rewire the power (cig lighter) so the power shuts off with the vehicle.  Currently, the power stays on in my 2005 Nissan Pathfinder cigarette lighters.

I also need some assistance with the antenna placement and hiding the wire to the front of the car.  Pictures and advice are most welcome.

THANKS! :)

kirktcashalini 
Silver - Posts: 492
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2006 at 6:32 PM / IP Logged  
hey, I did the same thing with my moms pathfinder actually. but didnt bother to do a remote on off system, I just told her to turn it off when she is done or turns the car off overnight. needless to say < a month later she never does anymore, it never really drained or anything, and its a ollld battery. I dont think you even really need to worry about it. but Its a good idea, looks like your going to need a relay for that because the remote power on the head unit may not have enough amps? i dont know.
99 Blazer LT.   Yellow Top. Big 3. Infinity Kappa Speakers All Around. Jensen CD/DVD flip out. 2 Infinity Kappa Perfect 12DVQs powered by a Alpine PDX600.1 (in one custom box, building a FG box)
mtnbikerchk 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2006 at 7:38 PM / IP Logged  

kirktcashalini wrote:
hey, I did the same thing with my moms pathfinder actually. but didnt bother to do a remote on off system, I just told her to turn it off when she is done or turns the car off overnight. needless to say < a month later she never does anymore, it never really drained or anything, and its a ollld battery. I dont think you even really need to worry about it. but Its a good idea, looks like your going to need a relay for that because the remote power on the head unit may not have enough amps? i dont know.

ok, help a newbie out...

relay?

kirktcashalini 
Silver - Posts: 492
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2006 at 7:58 PM / IP Logged  
a relay is something that you can trigger from any device, with minimal power, that basically allows alot of power, to pass through to power something. i really dont know how you plan on doing this install. It doesnt seem hard, I would hook it to a on/off switch in the case that you dont want to deal with a relay. or simply shut off the unit when car is off.
99 Blazer LT.   Yellow Top. Big 3. Infinity Kappa Speakers All Around. Jensen CD/DVD flip out. 2 Infinity Kappa Perfect 12DVQs powered by a Alpine PDX600.1 (in one custom box, building a FG box)
mtnbikerchk 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2006 at 8:34 PM / IP Logged  

kirktcashalini wrote:
a relay is something that you can trigger from any device, with minimal power, that basically allows alot of power, to pass through to power something. i really dont know how you plan on doing this install. It doesnt seem hard, I would hook it to a on/off switch in the case that you dont want to deal with a relay. or simply shut off the unit when car is off.

I think I want to change an existing 12v adapter from non swtiched to switched.

not that I know exactly what that means - but it sounds simpler than putting in a relay.  :shrug:

downstarinc 
Copper - Posts: 119
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2006 at 10:59 PM / IP Logged  
i do like 10 sat. radios a week..what i do is find a ignition wire (one that turns on/off with the key) usually behind the stereo, cut off the cig lighter(make sure the cig lighter doesent drop volts like most xm), fuse the 12v+ wire with a 3amp fuse, and run the antenna from the roof, thru the weather stripping,and into the car. make sure that the antenna wire doesent get kinked or piched (will short easily). next just find a place to mount it and there you go! its super easy, 45min job tops..pm me if u got any ?'s
jl audio..nuff said
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 19, 2006 at 9:50 AM / IP Logged  

Yes, as downstarinc stated- some of those units have a voltage converter in the cigarette lighter plug.  The starmate is one of those and runs on 6v.  Go to the parts store, pick up a cigarette lighter plug outlet and wire it to an accessory circuit with a 3 amp fuse inline. 

*Keep in mind that may newer Nissans throw a trouble light if you turn the key on without the dash bezel/ other electronics plugged in.*  If you need to test for an accessory wire, make sure you have everything plugged in first.  Otherwise, you have to google for the reset solution.

My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
mtnbikerchk 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 19, 2006 at 10:01 AM / IP Logged  
geepherder wrote:

Yes, as downstarinc stated- some of those units have a voltage converter in the cigarette lighter plug.  The starmate is one of those and runs on 6v.  Go to the parts store, pick up a cigarette lighter plug outlet and wire it to an accessory circuit with a 3 amp fuse inline. 

*Keep in mind that may newer Nissans throw a trouble light if you turn the key on without the dash bezel/ other electronics plugged in.*  If you need to test for an accessory wire, make sure you have everything plugged in first.  Otherwise, you have to google for the reset solution.

awesome thanks.

now how do I wire the outlet to an accessory circuit with a 3 am fuse inline? :)

geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 19, 2006 at 2:18 PM / IP Logged  

You need to use your multimeter to test the wires.  First, set your meter to resistance, and touch one probe to the outer conductor of your new lighter plug outlet.  Touch the other probe to one of the wires coming from the back.  When you get a reading of just over 0 ohms, that wire is the ground.  Crimp on a ring terminal and screw it down to metal. 

The other wire is for power.  Connect it to an accessory wire in the vehicle.  It should be red at the ignition harness, or GREEN/ black behind the radio.  To test for the correct wire, set your meter to voltage (on a scale of at least 12 volts), touch the black probe to ground (outside of cigarette lighter), and the red probe to your suspect wire.  When you get a reading of 12 volts only while the key is on, you've found the correct wire.  Now, solder one end of a fuse holder (you can get one at the parts store) to this wire, and the other end to the power wire of your adapter.

*Remember to not turn the key on with the dash bezel/other unplugged or you'll be scrambling to find the reset solution.*

My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic