icon

new infinity subs

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
new-b 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2006 at 7:37 PM / IP Logged  
i am installing some infinity 12.1d's (2) in my 1996 toyota camry, and i already have an audiobahn a6004t pushing my 4 speakers. i bought an audiobahn a275hct amp for the subs, which is 1 ohm stable (600w @ 1ohm). my lights dim when i have the volume all the way up as it is, so i know i will need some kind of cap when i install the amp for the subs, so i bought the audiobahn 12 farad amp style capacitor. problem is, the 12 farad cap takes in a 0/1 gauge wire meaning i would have to run another wire for it (someone told me the 4 gauge would be enough, but i don't think this would be wise...), and i have also been told by many people it is way too much for my system. together the two amps should be drawing 900watts (300 rms from a6004t, 600rms from a275hct). i had also bought a rockford fosgate 1 farad cap with digital readout, but after considering it, i think it's too small. my choices are to buy a distribution block and split the 4 gauge wire i already have ran into 2 8 gauge wires for the amps, or run the 0/1 gauge wire for the 12 farad cap (which has its own distribution blocks). which would be better, and why? could i get away with 8 gauge wire for the amps? also, is it ok to split a 4 gauge wire into 2 4 gauge wires? (i found a distribution block that could do this, but would it be wise?) lastly, the 1 farad per 1000watts rule, is this peak or rms?(for subwoofers)
ddsubman 
Copper - Posts: 70
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2006 at 7:49 PM / IP Logged  
You would be a lot better off to scrap both caps and get a ho alternator. Read the cap "sticky" and you will see where I am coming from.  Also, have you done the big 3? If not, read the grounding sticky before you go any further.
Gettin' deafer by the day.......96' GMC yukon-Eclipse CD 5442HU
MA Audio HK4000D-Digital Designs 9515F
150+db with one woofer...DD rules!!!!
new-b 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2006 at 7:52 PM / IP Logged  
what's the big 3? also-what's a sticky? (is my newness showing?-heh)
i'm rockin a sony tape player that doesn't even have rewind...
stang351w 
Silver - Posts: 350
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2006 at 7:56 PM / IP Logged  
i agree with the HO alternator, but i wouldn't split the 4 ga wire into 2 - 8 ga runs ,  or at least for the sub amp...keep that at 4 ga along withthe ground wires. make sure you have the ground wires the same size as the power wire going to your amp.  your audiobahn amp isn't to much for those subs..i'd be really surprised if audiobahn put out the numbers they rate there amps with.  but it will however drive your subs.  the way to find out if the 4 ga wire will be enough is find out how much current each amp will draw at peak output. then somewhere on this wonderful site i beleive you'll find a chart showing the recomened lengths and size of power wire according to your power output.  you could prob get away with 4 ga and not have any probs, just befor you upgrade to anything else you'd want to upgrade your wire.  but as for the cap...if your set on useing it. after the distrubution block where you have the 2 runs of power wire going to each amp is where you'd put the cap, and you'd only need it for your sub amp.  so that cancels out a lot of power from your other amp.
Tri County KustomZ
certified installer
kirktcashalini 
Silver - Posts: 492
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2006 at 8:04 PM / IP Logged  
stickyyyyyyyyyyy, basically a post that stays at the top so everyone can see it new infinity subs - Last Post -- posted image. . if your lights dim on that amp you definatly need a better charging system (aka h.o. alt.)
99 Blazer LT.   Yellow Top. Big 3. Infinity Kappa Speakers All Around. Jensen CD/DVD flip out. 2 Infinity Kappa Perfect 12DVQs powered by a Alpine PDX600.1 (in one custom box, building a FG box)
new-b 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 19, 2006 at 6:06 AM / IP Logged  

what's an ho alternator, and where can i get one at a decent price online? secondly, how are they rated/how would i know which to get? does an ho altenator completely suffice (so i won't need a cap?)

new-b 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 19, 2006 at 6:22 AM / IP Logged  
ok. so guess i need some new amps. anybody wanna buy an a275hct? heh-jk. but for real, what should i look for? is the cea rating good enough (do they rate wack amps?), or only certain brands? i try to stick with what ive heard of, like jbl, jl, rockford, orion, infinity, etc, are these good, and which others should i look for????
kirktcashalini 
Silver - Posts: 492
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 19, 2006 at 2:41 PM / IP Logged  
h.o = high output. depends if its hot rated or cold rated. has to do with what range rpm the most amps come through at. I would talk to someone locally that you can trust. REsearch some high output alternators online. I am guessing a 160 would do you fine, but whatever suits your fancy, if you are going to get serious later on, you might opt for the bigger alternator right away.
99 Blazer LT.   Yellow Top. Big 3. Infinity Kappa Speakers All Around. Jensen CD/DVD flip out. 2 Infinity Kappa Perfect 12DVQs powered by a Alpine PDX600.1 (in one custom box, building a FG box)

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic