icon

Wiring LED with relay to Viper Alarm

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kmartburrito 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: January 20, 2006 at 10:51 AM / IP Logged  
I have a DEI 790XV Viper alarm, and I have found an LED that attaches to the window, and flashes. It is an electro luminescent flashing LED with a relay attached to it. My question is how do I wire it in addition to the existing LED wire?
I have done a forum search, and haven't really seen anything that meets this question. Some mentioned in different posts to wire the positive to the constant, and the ground to the ignition 12v wire. Would this work? What would you recommend? I know also that I should probably wire them in series, but don't know really what that means. Thanks for any help!!!
infinkc 
Copper - Posts: 438
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 20, 2006 at 4:37 PM / IP Logged  
used the ground when armed wire off the alarm, use a relay, 85 to the ground when armed wire, 86 to 12v, 30 to 12v, 87 to the positve wire on the other led, and ground the other wire on the led.
There are 10 types of people in the world, ones that understand binary and ones that dont.
kmartburrito 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 20, 2006 at 5:49 PM / IP Logged  

I don't remember seeing the ground when armed wire...will look again. 

BTW, The led already has a relay in line, and I have no idea what you were talking about when referring to the 85,86,30, and 87...

Thanks!!

billbear 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: January 20, 2006 at 7:52 PM / IP Logged  

Those # = relay contact and coil pin numbers look left BASIC  then click relays it show lay out of the relay pins n/o = normal open n/c= normal closed . Hope this helps

cntrylvr79 
Silver - Posts: 582
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 20, 2006 at 8:11 PM / IP Logged  

infinkc wrote:
used the ground when armed wire off the alarm, use a relay, 85 to the ground when armed wire, 86 to 12v, 30 to 12v, 87 to the positve wire on the other led, and ground the other wire on the led.

So the only problem I see with this is if you wire it up this way, with the system armed and the car off, you have the relay activated pulling it's 150ma.  Which given a day or 2 of sitting will kill the battery to the point it won't start the car.

Cause I'm So white and nerdy...
First Class Certi-fried installer
kmartburrito 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 20, 2006 at 9:05 PM / IP Logged  

The LED, which has two black wires, goes into a plug that has another two wires, red and black, with a relay in line.  I don't think it is actually an LED, but what it is is a flat rectangle that flashes blue, and says "protected by directed" on it.  Since the relay is in line, I don't necessarily think that it will take extra wiring, I just need to know where to hook the positive and negative leads after the relay.  I have gotten it to flash with no problem, but only by connecting it to the chassis ground and the constant.  I know that is not the correct way to do it, but wanted to make sure that it did in fact work :)

Thank you all so much for your help!

dualsport 
Silver - Posts: 983
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 20, 2006 at 10:39 PM / IP Logged  
How many open wires are there on that electroluminescent assembly? Is it just the red and black wires you mentioned? If it's only those two, that may not be a relay in line, since relays generally need at least three connections to function.
If it runs directly off 12V, you need to find out if the LED drive output from the alarm will support that (sometimes they have current limiting built in, and won't put out a full 12V).
Even so, it sounds like you'd need a steady 12V to the gizmo, rather than a pulsed one, which is probably what the alarm is putting out.
Someone here familiar with that alarm could probably tell you what it puts out-
My favorite component is a BS170 transistor, which you could use for ground switching the EL light on; it handles 500mA, which I'm sure will do the job, and draws no current for the control input, as a normal relay would. Good for all sorts of things, and it'd be useful for this-
my car 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: January 21, 2006 at 7:42 AM / IP Logged  

I am having the same problem, the box inline is indeed a flasher control so you need a constant 12v to the El badge not pulsed, I read somewhere  to hook up the red wire to a constant 12v source and the black wire to the ground wire for the starter kill so when your alarm was on it would ground the El badge and it would light and flash on its own. however I am not sure which wire is the ground for the starter kill. If any one can help me out my alarm is a Python 1600xp. Thank you.

-Fabian

kmartburrito 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2006 at 1:15 PM / IP Logged  
Pardon my ignorance in assuming that it was a relay! Upon thinking about it, you are right Fabian, it's a flasher control. So, keeping that in mind, would wiring the positive lead to the constant 12v and the negative to the ground when armed wire work correctly? Sounds like Fabian and I are having the EXACT same issue. So, 12v experts, please help teach us the way of the wire!
Thanks!
Nathan
Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2006 at 1:21 PM / IP Logged  
Yes, ground while armed would be correct. On the Python 100XP it would be orange on plug H1.
Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic