icon

constant and remote wires

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mulleredro 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: January 20, 2006 at 3:26 PM / IP Logged  

Sorry guys its gonna be right back to basics becasue i know very little.

I've got a corsa, which i took the factory headunit out of and replaced with a new sony one. I have now realised that the iginition switch is a bit dodgey and cuts out sometimes , hence turning off my radio as i am driving. I cant affored to fix the ignition so to fix the stero problem : Can i just take the 12v constant lead , split it into 2 , so 12 v constant lead is connected to the where the remote lead should be connected aswell as where the 12v constant supply should be connected.

I hope this makes sense.

Its not the wiring of the new stero which is making it cut out that is all sound.  I just didnt realise it was happening bcos the factory headunit didnt actually work so never noticed.

If anyone can help us out it would be great.

Cheers Ro

jaybird2020 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: January 20, 2006 at 10:38 PM / IP Logged  
you could put your switched lead of the radio to 12 volts but your radio will stay on all the time    hope this helps
nstaller36695 
Copper - Posts: 106
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 21, 2006 at 12:34 AM / IP Logged  
if i couldnt afford to fix the ignition switch i would split the constant wire and put the wire going to the acc wire on a manual switch so u can turn the radio off and still have the other lead going to the memory but make sure everything is fused. and dont mount the switch where it can short out to ground.
the best part of a job is seeing the bumper get smaller over the horizon
mulleredro 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 21, 2006 at 8:04 AM / IP Logged  

cheers for the help guys...

if i dont put a switch on and just make sure the face of the radio is always off, then the radio wont be on so shouldnt drain the battery right?

If i do as above and just connect the constant  to the remote on the hu , is it alrite to just split the existing constant and not to put i fuse in , (just put 2 wires into a but connector and attach to the original constant so i get 2 constants out of it)  like there wont be any problems.

cheers for any help again , much appreciated.

mulleredro 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 21, 2006 at 4:49 PM / IP Logged  

sorry also ....if i do put a switch in , why do i need to put a fuse in , and where do i need to put a fuse in , like between hu and switch or 12v source and switch?  And what value / type of fuse.

Thanks , sorry for all the really basic questions, just dont want to break my car or the HU.

Cheers Ro

nstaller36695 
Copper - Posts: 106
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2006 at 2:30 AM / IP Logged  

just make sure u put the fuse close to the source of power if you are getting the power from behind the radio then it should already be fused from the fuse box u just dont want loosly ran wires dangling to get possibly shorted but yea u can just connect the 2 wires from the radio to the single constant and ok its not recommended but its your decision but if u run a switch from the fused constant then u wouldnt have to add another fuse to it

the best part of a job is seeing the bumper get smaller over the horizon

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic