icon

What to do?/parcel shelf

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
The Distortion 
Copper - Posts: 50
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 25, 2002 at 10:19 AM / IP Logged  

I am trying to decide what will be the best way to install a set of 6 1/2" components in the parcel shelf where a set of factory 6 x 9's were.

The parcel shelf is a piece of flat metal inside the trunk...the factory 6 X 9's were installed on the bottom of this.

Between the metal parcel shelf and the piece that is perforated to let the sound through to the interior is a air space of almost 3 inches...and the perforated piece was flimsy..so I foamed it(polyurethane foam sealant,minimal expansion) and this stiffened it up quite well.

I can cut a hole in the top where the perferations are and drop the componets in there, yet this will leave them exposed to thieves,and the glaring sun,leave a hole in my car, yet may produce the best sound quality.

Or I can mount them on a piece of MDF (I have some 3/4 " thick) and then screw the MDF piece on the bottom of the metal piece of the parcel shelf( I also have one of those Foam 6X9 speaker baffles that i can staple to the rears of the speakers to simulate a enclosure...doing it this way will hide them from thieves and the sun that glares right through the rear window(I have legal window tinting,it still shines pretty heavy through there) Yet this way may kill SQ since it has to go through the perferations.

My question is basically what a pro would do and do you think it will kill the SQ that much playing through those perferations?

Also I have not done anything yet,so if you have any better ways to install this..let me know

the12volt 
Administrator - Posts: 3,955
Administrator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 25, 2002 at 10:37 AM / IP Logged  
Mount your speakers in MDF as you described then fabricate and cover a new panel (parcel shelf) or use the existing panel after cutting out the perforated area to the same size (or larger) as the speaker and cover it tightly with grill cloth in a matching color . This will maintain a factory look while keeping the speakers hidden without degrading sound quality.  
The Distortion 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 25, 2002 at 5:22 PM / IP Logged  

Thank you!!, I will give it a try... !!

the12volt 
Administrator - Posts: 3,955
Administrator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 25, 2002 at 5:33 PM / IP Logged  
You're welcome, glad I could help. Let us know how it comes out, and if you can, post a picture of it here when you complete it .
The Distortion 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 25, 2002 at 5:56 PM / IP Logged  

Hey I will put the pics on a webpage and have a link to click on when I am done. The door buildouts took two weeks yet they turned out great,I almost hope the MB quarts require a different hole than the infinity reference series when I get the MB Quarts in the mail, because It will give me the incintive to redo those door mounts(what a pain that was!!!) ,and I will get the angles right for a better front stage this time. I am still going to build the amp rack, have a couple ideas for that, such as finally finding a use for those mini red gas tube lights that cost me 75.00 a pair ( that I bought for a motorcycle) and never could find a good spot to place them.  I was thinking some plexiglass holes and place those underneath the amp rack. ( that will look good I think with two RF power amps sitting there, all the wires hidden)

I'll send that link when it is done, I have been working on this car audio install for a total of three months, and it is about halfway there.

Expect more questions :) I truly appreciate the help I have gotten here.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic