icon

battery being drained what can i do?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
sexyvic1 
Copper - Posts: 144
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2006 at 1:54 AM / IP Logged  

k guys, i got the alarm back from autopage and they said there was nothing wrong with it.

i don't understand because while the alarm was out to them, the car sat for over 2 weeks and the battery didn't die. so it makes me think the alarm is the problem.

the autopage tech said it may be the passlock from dei 555L . he said that the blue with white wire might cause the battery to die.

i checked that wire with the car and alram not armed and it read 11.94volts. i went out and bought a new one and the new one read 11.91v

any ideas?

also under my hood in the fuse box the  iggnition fuse has power on both sides??? even when i pull the fuse out i have power on both sides.....that can't be right because if there is power on both sides then there wouldn't be a fuse.

any ideas on this too?

i am so agrivated, all of this happened while the car sat  for 3 weeks in my garage. i feel like burning it down but i have so much labor into it :o(

geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 30, 2006 at 4:53 AM / IP Logged  
Did you replace the battery like was suggested before?  If that's the problem, then even a small (normal) constant drain such as the alarm could cause it problems.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
sexyvic1 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2006 at 11:17 AM / IP Logged  

geepherder wrote:
Did you replace the battery like was suggested before?  If that's the problem, then even a small (normal) constant drain such as the alarm could cause it problems.

yes i have 2 brand new optima yellow tops.

geepherder 
Posted: March 30, 2006 at 11:23 AM / IP Logged  
Okay, so you're using 2 batteries.  If you disconnect them both and take voltage measurements of each, is one significantly higher than the other?  If so, this could be your problem.
sexyvic1 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2006 at 11:30 AM / IP Logged  

sorry i forgot to mention before, i only have one battery in at this time, he 2nd is just for my audio and accessories, which i dissconnected everything and took the battery out.

there is no line even going to the 2nd battery right now.

so basically it is like haveing a single battery.

i also have a midtronics battery load tester which i did use on the battery thinking it may be the problem but the battery is mint.

i really think it is something with the alarm though.

cause when the alarm was out to repair the truck never lost power, i am so confused

geepherder 
Posted: March 30, 2006 at 11:43 AM / IP Logged  

Well, 44 mA is a perfectly acceptable constant draw.  Did you have this problem with the original battery, too?  How do your cables/ends look?  How about your grounds?  One other thing- when you vehicle doesn't start, what is the voltage reading at the battery?  If it looks okay, it may be your starter.

sexyvic1 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2006 at 1:53 PM / IP Logged  

yes i did have it with the original battery, it actually killed it thats why i went out and bought new ones, i thought maybe the old batteries were the problem.

as for the wiring it is all mint i ripped everything out and i still had the problem :o(

any idea why this may be:  under my hood in the fuse box the  iggnition fuse has power on both sides??? even when i pull the fuse out i have power on both sides.....that can't be right because if there is power on both sides then there wouldn't be a fuse.

i think that may have something to do with it but i don't know what would cause that, one person said that if there is a short in the truck that could happen but i checked everything.

i am so lost and upset. i put a ton of money and time into the truck and i can't even drive it. it has been liked this since the end of october.

geepherder 
Posted: March 31, 2006 at 8:29 PM / IP Logged  

As far as your fuse question, is this with the key off as well?  If not, you may have the secondary ignition circuit backfeeding to the primary (or vice-versa) through the ignition switch.  That's about all I can think of.

How do your fluids look?  Slap me if you think I'm silly, but I read that if you let your coolant go (don't flush it at normal intervals, etc.), it becomes acidic, and actually acts becomes a battery with your car.  That can cause big problems, which are hard to pinpoint.

electrostatic 
Copper - Posts: 154
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2006 at 10:14 PM / IP Logged  
so the battery tests good, and the parasitic load is normal, that leaves the alternator. check your alternator. with your engine at idle your battery should read 12.6 volts while under load (headlights, audio system, air conditioning, wipers, etc.) next increase your engine rpm's to around 2000 rpm's and the voltage at the battery should go up to apx. 13.8 volts or higher and stay there with increased engine rpm's. if the voltage doesn't increase with an increase in engine rpm's from idle your alternator is bad. with a bad alternator your battery doesn't fully charge and any parasitic load on the battery at rest will further deplete its state of charge.
sexyvic1 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2006 at 12:46 PM / IP Logged  

geepherder: i have that ignition fuse problem with the car off no key in at all.....the fluids are all perfect ( intresting to know that about the fluids, i will definatly keep any eye on that with future cars)

i pulled the entire fuse box out yesterday and started testing the actual fuse board to see if that was at fault. i did continuity tests across the terminals with the fuses out and there was no continuity, so i came to the conclusion that the fuse box is good.  only when power is contected to the fuse box, i get power on both sides of the fuse

i think something is backfeeding to it like u said but i don't know what  battery being drained what can i do? - Page 5 -- posted image.

electrostatic: i thought of the alt too but so i  have checked the alt  and it is working perfect no problems at all.

p.s.    i would like to thank you guys for taking the time out and try to help me. all your ideas are helpful and i hope u have more untill i fix this problem.

Page of 6

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic