icon

latching relay with negative output

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
wblakes 
Copper - Posts: 202
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2006 at 10:24 AM / IP Logged  
can some one please show me how to create a latching relay that will give a negative output through a momentary switch and will reset with ignition? i want to use as less parts as possible. please list part numbers if available. thank you...
fingaz22 
Silver - Posts: 410
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2006 at 10:52 AM / IP Logged  
Similar to the momentary to constant configuration above, we can engage and disengage the latched output with a single pulse from a switch or an output from an alarm or remote keyless entry. The first pulse from the switch will engage the latch. The next pulse from the switch will disengage the latch.

latching relay with negative output -- posted image.
Here's the same configuration as the one above that you can use if you do not have any *diodes available and/or only want to use SPDT relays. A negative output from an alarm, remote keyless entry, or other device can be used in place of the switch shown in both of these diagrams.

you can use the top relay setup found here in the 12 volt site. and use one more relay to swith the pos. output to a neg. output. by using the output of the latching relay setup on the 85 side of the extra relays coil and 86 to ground then ground jumped to 87 and there on 30 you will have your neg. output.

or if you don't like building things and want a easier way out goto ebay they have them for sale. just check the max current rating because some of them will not surpport car application unless an extra relay is added to carry the draw.

JUST ONE MORE AMP!!!
hu,alpine cva 1005/dva 5205
sound processor,symmetry(first one).
sub amp,power 1000 the terminator.(1992).
subs,spl comp dual 1 ohms.
punch 150hd on a 10" ev.
alotofhighs
firstrax 
Copper - Posts: 113
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2006 at 11:30 AM / IP Logged  

This should work.

Add fuses and diodes where appropriate.

techguy688 
Copper - Posts: 55
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2006 at 6:50 PM / IP Logged  
you can find these relays at your local auto store. and diodes from radio shack. Or you can mail order them through several companies such as the link below.
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=330-070&ctab=14
Just because you've done something for a long time doesn't mean you're any good at it.
Cable Ties Rock!
wblakes 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2006 at 11:02 PM / IP Logged  
i'm sorry to ask, but can you tell me where to place the fuses and diodes? thanks..
firstrax 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2006 at 11:32 PM / IP Logged  

wblakes wrote:
i'm sorry to ask, but can you tell me where to place the fuses and diodes? thanks..

New and improved with diode and fuse goodness.

wblakes 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2006 at 11:34 PM / IP Logged  
thank you..........
firstrax 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2006 at 12:02 AM / IP Logged  

The silent "click free" method.

wblakes 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2006 at 8:59 AM / IP Logged  
thanks firstrax, i really appreciate your help. for your click free diagram where i can i the diode schottky? i couldn't find on the radio shack website. is it the same as the regular diode or not?
firstrax 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2006 at 6:56 PM / IP Logged  

wblakes wrote:
thanks firstrax, i really appreciate your help. for your click free diagram where i can i the diode schottky? i couldn't find on the radio shack website. is it the same as the regular diode or not?

A schottky (pronounced "shot-key") diode is like a regular diode except the voltage drop is lower. usually less than 0.5 volts. Very handy for protecting against reverse polarity. A regular diode will probobly be fine. The diode as a whole might be optional. Not knowing what  you are switching I was trying to provide isolation from ignition.

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic