icon

Should i change my amp?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jono1188 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2006 at 3:51 PM / IP Logged  
I have two 12" alpine type r's (dual 2 ohm) and they are being powered by an Hifonics BX1605D.  I was told to look into a JBL GTO 1201.1 and it would be more suitable for my setup.  What would you all say?
Also, my type r's are in a sealed box, ive been told if i port them they really come to life, is this true?
Thanks
rlandwehrle 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2006 at 6:22 PM / IP Logged  
the lowest ohms you can go saftley for that amp is 1ohm.the duel 2 ohms on the subs you will get 2 ohms saftley but you are not getting the power to your subs the amp can give.can you take back the subs and trade them for duel 4 ohms?that would work well with the amp.
1 pioneer deh-7700mp hu
1 lanzar htg2600d amp
2 sets rf 5 1/4 componets
2 alpine type r 12's(2005 series)
1 large ported box
1 rf 1.0 ferad rf cap
1 realy loud 2004 hyundai accent
jono1188 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2006 at 7:44 PM / IP Logged  
Looks like im going to have to do that, or atleast buy two new 1242's and sell the two 1222's i have now.  The 1242's are dual 4 ohm and i need to wire them up to show the amp a 1 ohm load right?  The amp claims 1600x1 @ 1 ohm so ill be giving the r's 800 watts to each or actually a little less since hifonics are a little overated?
boardinbum 
Silver - Posts: 358
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2006 at 8:14 PM / IP Logged  
It's not a great idea to run your amp at 1ohm if you don't have to. Putting a load like that on your amp will shorten its life, and increase the distortion.
Now, is there actually anything about your setup that you're not happy with? Do you want it to be louder? Do you want it to sound cleaner? Boomier?
If you can specify what exactly it is that you're not happy with or what you want to improve, it'd be much easier to help you.
jono1188 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2006 at 8:35 PM / IP Logged  
boardinbum, i was actually wondering if I made the right choice in what i had bought for upgrading my system.  I recently bought two 12" alpine 1222d's (dual 2 ohm) subs and an Hifonics bx1605d mono amplifier.  Now i have the r's wired together how the alpine diagram says with one jumper on each - and + terminal of both subs and then the - to - and + to +.  and then of coarse to the amp.  With that said, am i producing a 2 ohm load?  the Hifonics amp claims 1100x1 @ 2 ohms so am i giving 550 watts to both of my subs?  Basically i just wanted to clarify if i have made the right choice and my amp and sub combo.  I would like a little more boom if possible though as you asked.
The subs are also in a sealed box right now so if I ported them could i get some better SPL?
Hope that wasn't too confusing for you, thanks for the help
boardinbum 
Silver - Posts: 358
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2006 at 12:43 AM / IP Logged  
Wiring diagram for two DVC 2ohm subs
Looks like you did everything right with the wiring. Your amp should be seeing a 2 ohm load with each sub receiving ~550 rms. And yes I would say you made the right choice. It's much easier on your amp to run it at 2 ohms than at 1.
If you're looking for a little more boom, I would suggest building or buying a ported or vented box for those. I've ran my Type R's in both sealed and vented, and would have to say vented is definitely the way to go. It'll give you the extra boom and with the properly sized box, should sound just as good or better as your current sealed setup.
jono1188 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2006 at 12:24 PM / IP Logged  
alright sounds good...Thanks for the help
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2006 at 5:59 PM / IP Logged  
Definitely put the subs in a built to spec slot port box. This is going to add output like you had not thought possible. As far as the wiring goes, all looks well. With the amp and sub combo, It is not the best of matches but it will easily do the job properly. If you are going to build or buy a ported box, ensure that you also have a subsonic filter. If the amp does not have one built in, look to a new outboard crossover like one from Audio Control that has a subsonic filter built it. Without a subsonic filter on a ported enclosure, well it's a great way for you to start destroying your subs.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
jono1188 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2006 at 6:44 PM / IP Logged  
the amp does come with a subsonic filter just to let you know so looks like im good with that.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic