icon

99 Ford Expedition, noise problems

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 24, 2006 at 10:25 AM / IP Logged  
Yeah, just ohm out the speakers, and check for any leads touching ground.  You can try disconnecting the speakers at the amp, one by one.  Remove one, and see if the noise disappears.  If it does not, put it back, and move on to the next one. 
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
sk8ingsmurf 
Copper - Posts: 198
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2006 at 12:11 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the info geep, I honsetly would have just started pulling wires and re-running them, really should have thought of this but thank you for saving me hours on this.  So when I ohm them out I just get a 4 ohm reading on all of them correct?  would I see something closer to 0 ohms if they are in fact ground out on a given channel?  I will check all of these the second I get a chance to, that car is at my other house which is about 40 miles away so I probably wont get to check on these and let you guys know what happens for like a week or so.  Thank you for all of the help so far, I really appreciate it.

Jeff

firstrax 
Copper - Posts: 113
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2006 at 12:22 PM / IP Logged  
sk8ingsmurf wrote:

would I see something closer to 0 ohms if they are in fact ground out on a given channel? 

maybe, maybe not. A black oxide screw going through speaker wire into a painted surface may not have 0 impedance to ground. It could have just enough potential to cause noise but not enough to change the impedance of the speaker.

geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 24, 2006 at 12:37 PM / IP Logged  

He's right, it won't necessarily be 0 ohms, but it will be significantly less than 4 ohms.  First ohm the speaker wires while disconnected to read the speakers individually.  Then check the leads seperately for a short to ground- touch one probe to a speaker lead, the other to the amp's ground terminal.  Be sure to do this with the leads disconnected from the amp though, so you don't get a false reading.

My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
sk8ingsmurf 
Copper - Posts: 198
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2006 at 12:43 PM / IP Logged  
ok I was wondering if I should be ohming the single leads against ground, well I will definitely start checking these out, I will be sure to post back and let you guys know if it worked (possibly helping someone with the same frustration in the future).  Once again I cannot thank you  guys enough for the responses, its almost painful to spend so time and money on your stereo and have it sound significantly worse than a walmart special.
firstrax 
Copper - Posts: 113
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2006 at 1:42 PM / IP Logged  

What geepherder said.

With the speaker wire disconnected from the amp there should be (in theory) infinite impedance to ground. A finite impedance is a problem. 0.1  ohms = problem, 4 ohms = problem, 100 ohms = problem, ect.

Oh, if you have any passive x-overs you will need to do the same check between those and the individual speakers.

Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic