icon

passlock, 1999 chevy cavalier

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
au5599 
Copper - Posts: 94
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2006 at 9:14 PM / IP Logged  

is the connector something you can swap from the 96 to the 99?  The 96 should work but not sure what you will need to get system to relearn.

Let me know, we had a car that we got from auction. Had gauges going wacko. So we got another cluster and had to send it to dealer for reprogramming. If there is a better well cheaper way to relearn or program without going to dealer let me know.

racing wife 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2006 at 9:52 PM / IP Logged  
Will try cluster in morning.  What triggers the passlock system? I took the raido,heater controls,all lights,speakers,seats,glass,air bags out of car for racing.     What is a 555L or 555t  if I need where do I get  it .  Thanks!!                                                                                                                                                                                                      
(¯`•¸·´¯) ®Å©ïñG WïƒË(¯`·¸•´¯)
sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2006 at 5:32 PM / IP Logged  
The ignition cylinder, the instrument cluster and the engine control module are the three components of the Passlock I system. When the ignition key is turned during start up, it sends a specific voltage through the yellow signal wire to the cluster. If the cluster sees the exact correct voltage during the start cycle, it will send a data message to the engine computer to allow it to start and stay running. I really think you are going to have to get the dealer to relearn the correct values for the car if you can't re-install all the original components of the Passlock system. Using a bypass module like a 555L or t won't do you any good if the car won't start on its own.
sparky
raycorri 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: January 29, 2006 at 5:45 PM / IP Logged  
au5599 wrote:

If there is a better well cheaper way to relearn or program without going to dealer let me know.

Here is a relearn document:

http://www.bsecorp.com/files/techtips/ST9303l.pdf

This might help.

Ray

raycorri 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 29, 2006 at 6:28 PM / IP Logged  

That's what I get for not previewing the post! What I tried to say was........ since this car is being used for a race car........ Passlock has been known to cause some stalling problems as well as the no-start conditions. You might want to consider Disablement once you have the relearn performed and the car will start. Here is a link to a GM Engineering document that describes the procedure for GM trucks. Following that is a rewrite of the document so that we can apply it to cars. Hope this helps!   Ray

http://www.gmupfitter.com/publicat/bull/bull26.pdf

PASSLOCK I or II DISABLEMENT

The following is a procedure to disable Passlock I or II Systems for vehicles in which remote start/stop system installations are required. This procedure is required because a remote start system will not function with the current Theft Deterrent System (Passlock) which is included on many  1996 and up GM vehicles.

Please note that this modification is intended to be used only in conjunction with the installation of a remote start/stop system and does not provide a procedure to install a remote start/stop system.

CAUSE

If an attempt is made to start a vehicle by a means other than a key rotation in the ignition switch, the Body Control Module (BCM) will interpret this start as a vehicle theft and disable the fuel injectors.

CORRECTION

A minor wiring modification may be made to allow the vehicle to be started remotely. This modification includes adding a switch to allow the customer to select “ON” to allow remote starting or “OFF” for normal Passlock operation.

CAUTION: When this modification is performed and the switch is set to the ON position, the theft deterrent feature will be disabled. When the theft

deterrent is disabled the SECURITY/THEFT SYSTEM  telltale will light up indicating that the theft deterrent system is NOT functioning.

PASSLOCK MODIFICATION

Refer to appropriate GM service manuals and/or SVMQP Electrical Guideline Manual for instruction on splicing and electrical connections.
1. Select a suitable on-off switch (see note below) which will be used to disable/
enable the Passlock System. Mount the switch in a location such that it is
accessible to the driver and will not interfere with normal vehicle operation.
NOTE: This is an extremely low current circuit (approx. 7mA), it is therefore very important that a high quality, low energy, fast acting switch be utilized
for this application.
2. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.
3. Locate the Main Ignition Switch Harness in the Column.  GM's Passlock System wires exit the Ignition Switch Tumbler together and then join with the Main Ignition Switch Harness.  (See  www.bulldogsecurity.com or  http://64.85.6.118/diagrams/diagrams.asp  and select your Make, Model and Year for wire colors and clues on the quickest way to access these wires.)
4. Locate the Yellow Passlock Data Wire which is included in a bundle of three tiny (20 GA) wires wrapped in friction tape.
Cut this wire and splice a 0.5mm2 (20 GA) yellow wire to each end of the cut wire.
Keep wire length to a minimum. Route modification wires clear of moving parts.
Connect the yellow wires to the switch such that the contacts are OPEN when the switch is in the ON position.
5. Turn modification switch to the OFF postion (contacts closed).
6. Start vehicle to verify normal operation. If engine “cranks but will not start"
recheck the switch position (contacts should be closed), wire connectors and
modification wiring.

SWITCH OPERATION

To enable remote start:

Start the engine with the ignition key (modification switch must be in the OFF
position). Turn modification switch to the ON position (contacts open). The
SECURITY/THEFT SYSTEM Telltale will light up indicating that the Passlock System is inoperative.
Once the SECURITY/THEFT SYSTEM telltale has been on for at least 5 seconds the vehicle can be turned off and then remotely started.

To disable remote start:

The Passlock System can be reactivated by turning the modification switch OFF
(contacts closed). Vehicle can either be running or off when this is done.

Please note that the VCM/PCM will record Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) related to the security system when the modification switch is in the ON position (circuit open). This is due to the way that the VCM/PCM interprets this condition.

NOTICE

Any condition which removes battery power from the Vehicle Control Module/Powertrain Control Module (VCM/PCM) (e.g. dead battery, disconnected harness connectors, etc.) will prevent the vehicle from being restarted. If the engine exhibits a “cranks but will not start” symptom, place the modification switch in the OFF (contacts closed) position. This will reactivate the Passlock System and allow the vehicle to be started with the ignition key.

racing wife 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2006 at 12:43 AM / IP Logged  

I was told i can relearn my ecm. How do do this? Is it posible to take the alarm out of the computer?                Thanks for your help!!!!

raycorri 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2006 at 6:11 AM / IP Logged  

Is it posible to take the alarm out of the computer? 

I've heard of people sending the computers off to be reprogrammed --- in that instance , they were able to have the Theft systems disabled. That might have only been for Camaros with the older VATS/Passkey systems though. You didn't say whether you were able to get the car started since your initial post. If you can get it started, then that modification switch idea is a good one for disablement. You don't have to add the remote starter. A quick way to test to see if you like the disablement is just:(1) Start the car  (2) Snip the Yellow Passlock wire [or] disconnect the connector with all 3 Passlock wires  (3) SECURITY/THEFT SYSTEM light will turn on steady (4) Your computer is now in "fail-enable mode"-Passlock is disabled-key recognition circuit was broken while the car was running (5) You can now turn the car off and start it confidently each time.

If you like the way that  works, then go back in and add the toggle switch into the Yellow wire----if you don't, then reconnect your Yellow wire or plug to put the Passlock system back on line. Hope some of this helps!           Ray

racing wife 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2006 at 9:43 PM / IP Logged  

I tryed the relay bypass but nothing changed. Still  the car startes and shuts down after 2 to 3 seconds. Still looking for new ideas.   THANKS!!!

hrickus 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2006 at 10:54 PM / IP Logged  

You will know if it is a passlock problem if the security light in your gauge cluster  "a little padlock" starts flashing once the car shuts down after it trys to start.If the security light turns off it is not a passlock problem.

If you need to get the car out of  "long tamper mode" turn your ingnition on for roughly 10 minutes or until the security light stops blinking 

hrickus 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2006 at 11:35 PM / IP Logged  
what other sites are there like that http://www.gmupfitter.com link that you left raycorri
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic