Remote starter add on

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
witxp 
Copper - Posts: 51
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2006 at 9:54 PM / IP Logged  

Hi

My 2003 GC has K-9 Classic installed from dealer and I plan to add the Astra 1000RS.  As I'm very new to this I'm not sure where to wire the two 16 gauge 12V wires to from the relay pack.

My second question is the K-9 has parking light output and door lock/unlock already installed.  From the K-9's wiring diagram, it supplies parking output (I'm not sure if there is an extra relay installed) and the Astra also does the same, so how would I tie them both to work together.  I don't want the parking lights to draw power from both devices. I think it could be a bad thing.  As far as door locks go, should I use diodes to isolate the two circuits or just tap right in?

Thanks

iskidoo 
Silver - Posts: 1,040
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 25, 2006 at 1:22 AM / IP Logged  
I would use the new system for everything and unplug the K-9. You will have some of the wires there already such as locks and lights which will save time. By 2003 GC, I'm assuming GMC. If it's a pick-up then you will have 2 red wires in the Ignition harness. Connect the 16 guage wires to them, one on each.
Steve G
witxp 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 25, 2006 at 9:10 AM / IP Logged  
Hi, sorry about the confusion, it's actually a 2003 Grand Caravan. Was half asleep typing it up. If I take out the K-9 I would loose the alarm. So I'm trying to work both systems in together.
Would I also just connect the two heavy gauge wires to two red wires from the ignition harness? And would those wires need constant 12v all the time?
And what should I do about the tying the parking together? Should I use a separate relay and diode isolate both connections to the relay?
Should I use diodes too on the doorlocks or can I just tap onto the existing ones?
Thanks
Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: January 25, 2006 at 4:51 PM / IP Logged  
You need to get power for the remote start somewhere else than the ignition switch. There's a heavy guage 12V source at the top of the BCM, not sure of the color. Do a search here for it. Also, the Caravan has a second starter wire that is a resisted ground. You need to wire a relay to give the PURPLE / brown wire on the switch a ground during crank. It must also resist the ground with a 180ohm resistor, or it will have start issues and the hetaer control won't work. As for the lights, it depends.To get parking lights in that van you need to wire a relay 5 wire type to the WHITE/ brown wire at the switch. It must send a ground at 2.1k resistance away from the switch. Did they do this when they installed the first alarm? The locks are a basic negaive pulse, you could tie them together.
Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
iskidoo 
Silver - Posts: 1,040
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 25, 2006 at 9:51 PM / IP Logged  
Wiring diagram:
http://www.designtech-intl.com/print.asp?action=select&yr=5249&product=Remote%20Start
This diagram will help you with the parking lights. http://directechs.com/techtips/pdfs/resources/security/directed_techtips/1082.pdf
Second starter diagram: http://64.85.6.129/extrainfo/diagrams/17044_CARAVAN_CHRYSLER%20MINI%20VAN%20STARTER%202%20DIAGRAM.pdf
http://directechs.com/techtips/pdfs/resources/security/directed_techtips/1083.pdf
witxp wrote:
Would I also just connect the two heavy gauge wires to two red wires from the ignition harness? And would those wires need constant 12v all the time?
Where it is the Caravan you would either do like Mike M2 says or connect both together to a 10 guage wire and run it through the firewall directly to the battery.
witxp wrote:
And what should I do about the tying the parking together? Should I use a separate relay and diode isolate both connections to the relay?
I would think if each unit can handle +12 volts from the vehicles parking light switch that they can handle +12 volts from each other without harming them so I wouldn't use a relay or diode but you can if you like.
witxp wrote:
Should I use diodes too on the doorlocks or can I just tap onto the existing ones?
If the wires coming out of the K-9 are negative trigger than you can tie into them directly. Make sure your between the the K-9 unit and the resistors used to interface with the locks.
Steve G
witxp 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 26, 2006 at 12:32 PM / IP Logged  
Hi, I just realized that since the parking lights are negative trigger and the K-9 uses positive out for the parking lights, is it safe to say that there would be an extra relay attached?
My other problem is the yellow wire of the K-9 is attached to the ignition. If the remote start energizes the wire, wouldn't the alarm go off? I realize this because I've tried turning the key in another vehicle while I was inside and alarm was armed.
Powermyster 
Silver - Posts: 962
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 26, 2006 at 3:02 PM / IP Logged  
mate i would go with the galaxy 5000 1 way. its alarm and remote start
and has a parking light relay that you can change polarity with.
has everything that you need. all in the one unit. and its cheap should be able to get one for about 70-90 dollars
Why oh Why didn't i take the blue pill
Darren Power
witxp 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 26, 2006 at 4:01 PM / IP Logged  
The problem is I have already purchased the remote starter and I really need to know if energizing the ignition wire would trigger the K-9 Classic to go off?
If it does trigger should I use a relay to disable connection to it while remote start?
witxp 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2006 at 5:24 AM / IP Logged  

Does anyone have any idea about it?

mike swanson 
Copper - Posts: 290
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2006 at 9:55 AM / IP Logged  
The alarm should have a -trigger in to shut it down while remote starting. the remote start shoud have a -trigger out to the alarm while remote starting
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic