icon

Blending FG to the MDF

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Ikessky 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: January 26, 2006 at 4:29 PM / IP Logged  

After countless hours of reading, I'm finally ready to start on some fiberglassing projects.  One thing still puzzles me, but maybe I'm just thinking about it too hard.  When making an encloser or any other piece that has a large flat spot, MDF should be used.  Now, after the fleece has been stretched around the piece and fastened to the back of the MDF, won't there be a "high spot"?  I guess what I am getting at is the fact that if you put a level across the piece of MDF, the FG portion will not allow the part to sit level on a flat surface.  What is done to correct this?

tcbturbosux 
Copper - Posts: 69
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 26, 2006 at 4:53 PM / IP Logged  

Say yo' if you raised up your speaker ring then you shouldnt have any flat spots.Can you elaborate a little more on the prob.

Uncle gumby

Uncle Gumby
lmonroejr 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: January 26, 2006 at 8:47 PM / IP Logged  

You need to use your router.  Use a rabbit bit (?).  Router around the edges, this will give you a place to staple your fleece.  Then you just need to bring the lower edge up to the top edge by using the fiberglass and resin.  Larry Jr

Ikessky 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 26, 2006 at 10:31 PM / IP Logged  
https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v697/ikessky/FG.jpg
Please excuse the crude Paint image! This is a rough idea of what I am talking about. The MDF would be sitting on a flat surface. The uneven ledges where the FG and the MDF "meet" would cause a gap between the MDF and the surface it sat on. How does one get away from that?
placid warrior 
Silver - Posts: 357
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 26, 2006 at 11:37 PM / IP Logged  
like Imonroejr said, use a router bit to rabbit (or whatever its called) the edges, its a 90deg indent on the edge so u can attach the fleece and then blend it in.
Blending FG to the MDF -- posted image.
Ikessky 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2006 at 6:50 AM / IP Logged  
Excellent.  Thank you guys very much.  I'm also assuming I will need to add some FG to the inside seam to safeguard against air leaks and to add some strenth.
placid warrior 
Silver - Posts: 357
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2006 at 1:23 PM / IP Logged  
yea its a goo idea to reinforce the seams when starting out cause half the time not enough resin gets put on to soak through the fleece.
HottAccord 
Silver - Posts: 247
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2006 at 5:23 PM / IP Logged  
Placid Warrior has the idea...I learned it a little differently from Glassmans DVD's. You route out the top edge, so that the fleece can be stapled right into the groove. You will then have a little space above the fleece to add body filler and make the whole fleece & mdf flush. I hope this pic helps illustrate my point.
Blending FG to the MDF -- posted image.
Im a fiberglass whore!!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic