icon

Alpine CDA-9851

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
cruzan69 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: January 26, 2006 at 10:11 PM / IP Logged  

Hi guys. Need some advice. I am upgrading the head unit in my truck (2001 S10). Current system consists of Clarion DRX8675z accompanied by matching cd changer--Punch 800a2 & Punch 400a4-- JL 4" and JL 6.5" -- 3 JL 12W3V2 . The current HU has 3 5 volt preamp outputs, negative on any built in crossover. I'm searching for a better sounding HU and have heard good things about  Alpine on this site. I've never tried Alpine before. Are they better than Clarion or shoud I go for Eclipse (CD5435)? I like the Alpine CDA-9851. I don't care for the Alpine CDA-9853 or CDA-9855, Bass Engine Pro intimidates me.  Would I notice any notable difference in dropping down to 2 volt outputs from the Alpine HU? Your input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

One other thing. I need to have a small cd changer to fit in my glove box. I currently have a 6 disc changer in there. Reason being, the bass causes my current Clarion to skip. I installed the changer to avoid this. Do you think the Alpine would also have this problem causing me to buy a changer? Thanks again. -David

sk8ingsmurf 
Copper - Posts: 198
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 26, 2006 at 10:38 PM / IP Logged  

I would say that between the 05 alpine decks and a clarion (depending on the model of course) you will probably get roughly the same sq.  The 9851 does have basic internal crossovers, however with a 4 channel amp you would probably be best off just using the crossovers on your amps.  I have installed tons of alpine decks and can say if you are going to get one then in my personal opinion you would be better off with an older model (you can still get the 9831-35s on ebay).  I have an eclipse myself (cd8443) and comparing it to both of my brother's and my girlfriends alpines (9813, 9815, and 9855) I would say the sq is much better on the eclipse.  As far as dropping between 3.5 and 2 volts, sure the 3.5 is techinically better, but as long as your gains are set well you really probably wont notice any difference.

So personally I would go for the eclipse, but if not then one of the higher end alpines (anything ending in 1,3, or 5) would be my choice.  Ive just never really been much of a fan of clarion decks myself, just a personal preference.

cruzan69 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2006 at 12:28 AM / IP Logged  

Thanks for your reply. What about the issue with the HU skipping from the bass?

Is the Eclipse CD5435 a nice unit? Is it better than the Alpine 9851?

Oh, and by the way that was (3)   5 volt preamp outputs on the Clarion, not 3.5 volts. Sorry. Any difference now?

In your opinion, do the Clarions sound kind of dull in comparison to others such as the Alpine or maybe even Kenwood?

sk8ingsmurf 
Copper - Posts: 198
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2006 at 12:02 PM / IP Logged  

As far as the skipping issue goes, the alpine probably wont fix it, but the eclipse definitely will.  Eclipse decks have a resonant frequency around 18hz I believe, which is quite a bit lower than any other decks on the market.  Having their resonant frequency so low means that bass wont make them skip as easily (unless you are listening to bass right out of audible range).

I didnt realize you meant 3 5 volt outputs.  Between a 5 and a 2 volt output sure if you set your gains well there really shouldnt be much of a difference, but I know I would personally feel better about having a 5 volt, thats a pretty large difference.  As far as my preference against clarion, it lies mostly in their interface.  They make a good deck, I just really dont like going through the settings on them, seems to me that they almost hide a lot of their important settings, and so parts arent even available to adjust on the clarions (your crossovers for example).  As I said, its mostly just personal preference with me but clarions just dont quite cut it for me.  I can honestly say it sounds like you are going to be happiest with the eclipse.  It has a solid set of crossovers in it, the resonant frequency is low enough for you,it will still have 5 volt pre-amps like yours does now, and the sound quality of eclipses is just amazing I.M.O.  I dont just say all of this because I am slightly biased towards eclipse (you read earlier that I have set my girlfriend and both siblings up with alpines), but after having mine I will have a hard time going back to anything else.

cruzan69 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2006 at 7:25 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for your help and advice. I think I will buy the Eclipse changer from Crutchfield to see if it will fit in my glove box first, then the CD5435 to be on the safe side (in case I want changer capabilities). The changer is an 8 disc and it may/may not be too big. Only problem is that the 2 online authorized distributors listed for Eclipse don't carry the CD5435. Has anyone ever purchased stuff from acaraudio? Are they reliable? Do you know of anyone else that sells their product line thats reliable.
dandrade 
Member - Posts: 29
Member spacespace
Posted: March 05, 2006 at 7:23 PM / IP Logged  
I have bought a lot of stuff from www.onlinecarstereo.com  they seem to be pretty good... great prices and free shipping over $99........however they do not carry eclipse headunits it looks like.....but you might wanna see if you see anything else you like on their site

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic