icon

89 astro van, subs?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
agentfelix 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: January 28, 2006 at 1:07 AM / IP Logged  

well  i got a 89 astro van and its got a huge box in the back ... 42 wide by 49 long by 36 hugh and on a angle ( what it is i dont know )    now being a noobie on the sound block ... i dont know much yet ,,,, i have 2 rockford Fosgate P1 10' subs in it ,and it sounds good now im loooking to expand to either more subs ? 4 more to be exact  or shud i go bigger subs ? like 4 12's or 2 15's ...  or ????  im looking for imput for my  van to make it the loudest  most original in my area hear ....  now im sorry for no pics yet and hopefully to get sum up eventully  also for the record i have a clarion head unit  ( dont know the model unit )  and for amps i have a sony Xplode 2X300 for the subs and a pyramid 2 X300  for my 4's ..... ummm also i have a " bass booster " now is it worth it to add to my system or not ...

Thanks for your time ..

Agent Felix

Ps ... also this head unit is very new ( xmas  to be exact ) and theirs a staticy sound from the speakers... so i dissconeected them .... the wires seem to be good ... and i kant find any gorund outs.... any leads to this will be very helpfull too ... thank you

dont under estimate a astro van
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 28, 2006 at 8:38 AM / IP Logged  

I've never put a sound system in one of those, so I'll leave the sub suggestions to someone else.

Was the noise there with the factory radio installed as well?  Is the staticy noise only on radio, or cd also?  If it's only on radio, make sure your antenna is properly grounded.  If it's on all sources, check the speakers individually.  See if the surrounds are intact, and push in on the cones and listen for any scratching sounds.

My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
tcbturbosux 
Copper - Posts: 69
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 28, 2006 at 1:59 PM / IP Logged  
If that is the true interior dementions, then you have over 38 cu. ft. of air space. Iam suprised you haven't blown them.
Uncle Gumby
geepherder 
Posted: January 28, 2006 at 2:28 PM / IP Logged  
I think those dimensions are in cm, not inches.
agentfelix 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: January 28, 2006 at 10:16 PM / IP Logged  

geepherder wrote:
I think those dimensions are in cm, not inches.

those are inches .... also the box is on a angle so yeah theres alot of feet in their .... it sounds good ( personnaly ) i had a smaller box ( which i had boughten ) and it sounded like crap conpared to this new one which i build +)

dont under estimate a astro van
customsound79 
Copper - Posts: 65
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 28, 2006 at 10:54 PM / IP Logged  
Check out my old ghetto setup at  http://www.cardomain.com/ride/824209!  The box is about 7 cubic feet, but there are no words to describe the raw, violent power you can harness from two 12"s in a minivan. Vans are probably about the best potential for easy SPL, but good luck in the SQ department :-)
My wife will never understand why, lucky for her!
jfunk06 
Copper - Posts: 64
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 28, 2006 at 11:00 PM / IP Logged  

Good man, damn good man.  Drivin that Astro/Safari van!  Welcome to the world of vanning my brother, i have a 93 Safari(the GMC version if you didn't know)  Anyway, ive had a lot of diffrent things going through it.  First, i had one 12 in a small sealed between the two front seats, just a basic thing when i first got the van.  Then i stepped up to 2 10" kicker comps.   I built the box to house 4 of them, anbd be the base for the back seat.  I never got around to getting the other two 10s, and stepped up to a 15 instead.  Right now i have a 15" Kicker Comp in a ported box, something like 20x20x18 and it gives me the recommended airspace of i think 3 cubic feet.  Anyway, it sounds great, and is extremely loud.  For highs, i have one pair of KIcker 6.5"s in the dash, hooked to my Pioneer DEH-P6300(or something like that) and thats it.  Sounds really good, and a lot better than a lot of people around here with real expensive stuff.

Anyway, i would waste your time with anything less than 2 12s or 1 15.  I would definately recomend getting rid of that box ASAp, thats not very good for those subs.  As far as addition, do it man, it is WELL WORTH IT!!!  I would go for 2 12"s to remain space.  I am saying this because to get the most out of your subs you need to port them, and that includes a lot of airspace.  If you dont care about room, grab two 15s, port them, and get ready to blow your roof off.  Sound deadening is HIGHLY HIGHLY recommended, because so much air will travle through your van, it will shake everything.  Oh, and buy a pair of ear-plugs, youlle be thanking me later! :)    JUst let me know if you need anything else!

Govenor of Jimcinati
93' GMC Safari XT
geepherder 
Posted: January 29, 2006 at 1:15 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah, stupid me- I guess if that were cm you'd never fit two tens in the first place!  Why not build a box or have one built for those woofers to their proper specs first and see how that works for you?
jfunk06 
Copper - Posts: 64
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 29, 2006 at 6:30 PM / IP Logged  

geepherder wrote:
Yeah, stupid me- I guess if that were cm you'd never fit two tens in the first place!  Why not build a box or have one built for those woofers to their proper specs first and see how that works for you?

agreed

Govenor of Jimcinati
93' GMC Safari XT

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic