icon

LED turn signals, Mirror

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
fair06 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: January 29, 2006 at 4:25 PM / IP Logged  
I bought a set of Pilot LED Mirror Turn Signals yesterday, and I was wondering how I would go about wiring them up so they would be functional as turn signals and parking lights. I am guessing that this requires a relay, but I have never messed with a relay before, so any "shortcuts" would be greatly appreciated.
P.S. There are only two wires coming from the turn signals.
Thanks in advance, any advice/direction would be greatly appreciated!
ringojam 
Copper - Posts: 215
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 29, 2006 at 8:40 PM / IP Logged  
One wire is ground the other is connected to your turn signal wire .The cant do 2 things ,only turn or park light which ever you wantLED turn signals, Mirror -- posted image.
Jamaica home of the worlds fastest man.
vibe03 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2006 at 2:02 PM / IP Logged  
I am trying to get my led mirror turn signals to work as turn signals.  How did you get them to work just as turn?
art
fair06 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2006 at 10:10 AM / IP Logged  
You need to find the power wire that goes to your turnsignals, and has power (and pulses) when you turn on your turnsignals or emergency flashers, the easiest way to hook up to them is run the wire up to your turnsignals themselves. Good luck, lemme know if you need more info
ff-mike 
Copper - Posts: 199
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2006 at 12:18 PM / IP Logged  
Missed this post earlier, couple of solutions for you.
#1 Relay based- Use a non-dioded relay and connect 85 to parking lamp positive, and connect 86 to the directional positive. The relay will ground through the filament of the unlit lamp. This is in effect an XOR gate
#2 Purchase a trailer wiring convertor for a vehicle with seperte brake and directionals. Wire the convertor inputs lines as follows- brake line to your parking lights, and wire the directionals as is. Use the left and right ouputs to run your mirrors
fair06 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2006 at 1:08 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks a million for the info mike, I knew that it was possible, I just didn't know all the technical details, but you did sum it all up for me...... thanks again!
ff-mike 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2006 at 2:08 PM / IP Logged  
Glad to be of assistance
For a quick visual of the relay setup, look at Daniel Stern Lighting. Instead of sidemarkers you would use the coil on the relay
You cannot use LEDs this way as they are polarity sensitive, and would work way or the other, not both.
kirktcashalini 
Silver - Posts: 492
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2006 at 8:34 PM / IP Logged  
ok, this gets a little confusing, but you have 2 wires, a parking light wire, and a blinker wire. Both normally feed 12 volts when lit. it is the filiment in a normal bulb that makes it look dim when on parking lights, but bright when blinking. A way you can get both amounts of brightness pretty simply if you know how to do some math, you put a higher resistance resistor on the parking light wire than you would usually use, but you will need to test to make sure the light comes on, but not to bright. Then on the blinker wire, put another resistor so when the blinker goes on, the total resistance that LED sees it what it should normally see to light up full bright. that way it will only be fully lit when blinking, but dim when 'parking lights' are on. Calculations will need to be made with the full numbers of leds you plan on running. Also I know this is alot to follow, but IT WORKS. and use diodes so you dont get back feeding. and ground that then thats good to go. Hope you could follow my rambling. good luck and question me if you need more info, ill come back.
99 Blazer LT.   Yellow Top. Big 3. Infinity Kappa Speakers All Around. Jensen CD/DVD flip out. 2 Infinity Kappa Perfect 12DVQs powered by a Alpine PDX600.1 (in one custom box, building a FG box)
fair06 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2006 at 4:10 PM / IP Logged  
Your 'rambling' has helped me out more than you probably thought it would. Thanks for the info, it is setting my plans into motion..... thanks again.
ff-mike 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2006 at 11:43 AM / IP Logged  
That too is a workable solution. Of note to me in the this though is that the mirror LED most likely already has a current limiting resistor in them- so regardless of what resistors you are using to differentiate the park and turn functions, the LEDs will never fully illuminate because the diodes (which are needed) are going to be dropping the voltage also. That said, you could also use a chain of diodes on the parking lamp side to further reduce the voltage eliminating the need for resistors altogether. But it will take tweaking to come up with a what's right value.
While coming up with all of this, I thought I should mention that drivers may be confused as to your intentions when you have illuminated directinal signals and are not turning.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic