icon

convert AC to DC power

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
lilchepe 
Member - Posts: 43
Member spacespace
Posted: January 29, 2006 at 6:14 PM / IP Logged  
hi fellow enthusiasts well right now i really need help. i would like to know if its possible to convert a component using from AC power to DC power with out the use of an converter.  A while back i saw how it was done but i dont remember the site. Now i would like to know if thats posible and if so , is there a diagram or a way to do it. i really need help .  if i can do that , it will be great. thanks guys.  s.  D-JAY
fingaz22 
Silver - Posts: 410
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 29, 2006 at 6:31 PM / IP Logged  

what are you trying to power up? what kind of dcv does it require? how many amps will it pull? these are some good points to add to the next post.

but if you want a rough idea here's http://www.asdffdsa.net/projects/ps2.htm a site that will give a diagram and directions on how to turn a 12v source into an acv for a ps2.

seeing the voltage requiriment maybe different for the ps2 than what ever it is you are trying to power ,there may be some mod's to that curcuit you will have to do to increase or decrease voltage and amparge.

JUST ONE MORE AMP!!!
hu,alpine cva 1005/dva 5205
sound processor,symmetry(first one).
sub amp,power 1000 the terminator.(1992).
subs,spl comp dual 1 ohms.
punch 150hd on a 10" ev.
alotofhighs
lilchepe 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 29, 2006 at 8:24 PM / IP Logged  
ok well i im tryin to power an anntenna to get better reception for the tuner i've tried it and it works real well compared to what it was. but since this antena is powered from AC. i needed a way to convert it into DC 12V. now i cheked out the diagram for the ps2 and i was wondering if that will work ?
fingaz22 
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 29, 2006 at 9:10 PM / IP Logged  

no it will not work for that applacation. sorry. your best bet is to go to radio shack or equvilent and buy a power supply. they have them from 20 dollars up and for that antenna you will not nedd one that supplys alot of amparge.

the main thing in the price change is as the price goes up , the amparge output of the power supply goes up. so the 20 dollar one will do fine.

to build one would cost triple that. i would look on ebay if your not in a hurry and can wait for that process. i saw one today that i bought a few months back for my shop that i paid 150 bucks for. and it was selling for 75. so i'm sure if you look you can find one in the lower amarge range for cheap. good luck

JUST ONE MORE AMP!!!
punch 150hd on a 10" ev.
alotofhighs
lilchepe 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2006 at 8:58 PM / IP Logged  
Are you sure it wouldnt work my friend, i've studied the diagram and looks like it might work.  I'm aware that using an inverter is much more easy but other than having an  extra component I will also have more space to use so i wanted to avoid the converter.  I once saw an episode on pimp my ride and i noticed that mad Mike used relays to power a tv.  So i figured theres a posibility.  Thanks guys for the tips if theres any other please keep me posted.  S. Jose
fingaz22 
Posted: January 30, 2006 at 10:46 PM / IP Logged  

well you said you need to go from ac to dc. and the link i gave you, that diagram is for going from dc unregulated to a regulated dc current.

the only reason i gave the link to you is because at the time i assumed you where trying to something of this sought. and not trying to get a 12v up and running in your house. i'm sorry if you where miss lead.

here's another thread in this forum on the same topic https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp?tid=71715&get=last but you will need to regulate the trasformer. this is why i suggest in both threads that you just buy one it is more practical.

if your still dead set on building your own. pm, me and i will send you the plans for a basic regulated power supply. good luck

JUST ONE MORE AMP!!!
punch 150hd on a 10" ev.
alotofhighs
lilchepe 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2006 at 1:56 PM / IP Logged  
Ohh I see what you mean now. Dang it.  Well if u can send me the plans for a basic regulated power supply please so i can keep it for reference and start tryin from trial and error.  thanks fingaz22.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic