icon

04 BMW M3 Vert w/ SMG Alarm/RS?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
atwardiv 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2006 at 9:58 AM / IP Logged  
Found this great place last night and have been reading as much as I can. I wish to put in a 2way alarm/remote start in my car, but I want to make sure it is done right. I would like to be able to raise and lower the top from the remote as well as have the various sensors (prox, tilt etc) installed. Any installer I have called so far either doesn't know what a SMG transmission is, or has told me that it is impossible/problematic to do (throws off transmission errors on the dash). However after searching here I know that is not the case. Is there anyone here in the forums that works in the MD/DC/VA area that has done an install like this before? Are there any suggestions on what brand I should use? Thanks so much for your help!
-A.T.
cntrylvr79 
Silver - Posts: 582
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2006 at 8:20 PM / IP Logged  
What's an smg?   I'm kidding, not that stupid.  As for the top controls, you car got the button you push once and it unlocks the top and automatically raises or lowers it?  If so then the installer just has to tag one of the aux channels to the tigger wire.  If it's like the top setup in a 330xi then it'll be a negative trigger.  Any installer that's giving you trouble about putting the r/s in becuase of the trans is just making excuses because they don't want to work on a bmw.  Imagine that people afraid of a car. 
Cause I'm So white and nerdy...
First Class Certi-fried installer
atwardiv 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2006 at 10:31 PM / IP Logged  
In my car there are two buttons on to open and another to close the top. While there aren't any latches on the roof to unlock, you have to hold which ever button you want for 12-15 secs or so for the top to fully open or close. Can this sequence be programmed in say the Viper 791 for example? As for the SMG transmission, for me to turn on the car I have to be in neutral and have my foot on the brake. Does that cause a problem for the R/S? Looking forward to your responces. Thanks for the help.
cntrylvr79 
Silver - Posts: 582
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2006 at 7:50 PM / IP Logged  

Ok the top controls are a bit different.  I don't see it being a problem with tying top control to say a 791.  IF i were to do it, I would set it up where hold one button and the top opens hold the other one and the top closes.  As for the whole smg thing, it works pretty much like putting an r/s in a new nissan with that intelligent key or what ever they call it.  Good luck in your search for a shop to do it.

Cause I'm So white and nerdy...
First Class Certi-fried installer
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2006 at 1:35 AM / IP Logged  
Its not really that hard of a job to do, its just a matter of ifnding someone thats not scared of germans and is willing ot put in the time because in my opinion the job on that car is a 8 hour process to do it right. Have you been checking big box stores or independants for places to install?
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
joe_1 
Silver - Posts: 286
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2006 at 4:37 PM / IP Logged  

very nice car by the way i love m3's if you were anywhere near me i would do it for you, it is a prety simple but long process, and like the other guys said the people are most prop scared of that car.  good luck

i am also a technician so if you have any engine trouble let me know, and i will do my best to help.
atwardiv 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2006 at 6:05 PM / IP Logged  
Hey all thanks for the help. So far I've gone to Tweeter and a small car audio/security store. Both have quoted "around" the same price since they unsure, "what all is entailed." I guess this means they don't know the exact time or parts that are needed. This doesn't make me feel so great. I will just hold off for now till I find a better installer.
joe_1 
Silver - Posts: 286
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2006 at 5:49 PM / IP Logged  
make sure you find a compitent installer for this vehicle and ask them if theyve worked on the e46 model before, it will cost quite a bit of money for parts if they got broken.
i am also a technician so if you have any engine trouble let me know, and i will do my best to help.
atwardiv 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2006 at 5:53 PM / IP Logged  
That's my problem I can't find anyone around here that makes me feel they really know what they are doing. The answer I get to "have you worked on one of these before?" is "Umm.. yeh one but it was awhile ago." or something of the like. Are any of the members here in a reasonable area available?

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic