icon

Hooking up multiple amps

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
darktengu 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2006 at 8:31 PM / IP Logged  
I want to run multiple sub amps.  I have an Alpine HU that has sub output, and then all for speak outputs.  But how do I keep sound quality while running four amps for four different subs?  Thanks
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 30, 2006 at 9:46 PM / IP Logged  
Are you asking how to feed signal to all the amps?  You can simply use y-adapters to split the signal coming from the headunit.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
darktengu 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2006 at 10:02 PM / IP Logged  
Will I keep the same quality of sound if I do it at the HU or would it be better to do it near the amps?
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 30, 2006 at 10:14 PM / IP Logged  

Either way is fine.

My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
sk8ingsmurf 
Copper - Posts: 198
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2006 at 10:42 PM / IP Logged  
Both will be the same really, but I recommend doing it closer to the amps so you dont have to buy 4 runs of interconnects.  Might I ask just out of curiosity why you are running four seperate amps for four subs, possibly a list of your equipment as well.
darktengu 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2006 at 4:52 PM / IP Logged  
The subs are Alpine R-types 12s and the amps are the MRD-M500s.  I have two hooked up now to two different amps, and I have two spare 12s sitting so I was going to get amps for them.  Right now I have the left RCA running to one amp and the Right RCA running to the other.
kirktcashalini 
Silver - Posts: 492
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2006 at 6:33 PM / IP Logged  
yeah, what are they, DVC or SVC 4 ohm subs, or what? there may be a more efficient way to wire all that up, possibly saving you the money from new amps but getting same power output possibly. and what are the amp specs.
99 Blazer LT.   Yellow Top. Big 3. Infinity Kappa Speakers All Around. Jensen CD/DVD flip out. 2 Infinity Kappa Perfect 12DVQs powered by a Alpine PDX600.1 (in one custom box, building a FG box)
darktengu 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2006 at 7:26 PM / IP Logged  
DVC four ohm wired to two ohm.  Each into it's own amp.  Amps are 500w RMS and 1000 peak they are 2 ohm stable.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 31, 2006 at 8:33 PM / IP Logged  

You would benefit with the same mono input into each of those amplifiers.  Each sub would then receive the exact same signal and the overall sub quality would be improved, and perform better.  If it were me, I would look into the Audio Control lineup and find a device that will take the input available from the HU and disperse it to the amps properly.

Hope your alternator is HO enough for the extra demands of the additional amps!

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
darktengu 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2006 at 9:16 PM / IP Logged  
I've looked into HO alternators, but am also thinking of just adding a second alternator, it'd be cheaper. 

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic