icon

Time saving tricks?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
nattopdog 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2006 at 9:07 PM / IP Logged  
I was just wondering what some other installers use for time saving. I know there is a bunch out there! I was just curious and looking for some tricks of the trade.
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2006 at 3:36 PM / IP Logged  

Thinking a head about your next move on a project is a very important concept to grasp. This is probably not what you wnated to read, rather you wanted a specific trick like using a uni-bit instead of going through a drill bit index, but this will save your more time than any trick in the long run.

It happens to every one from time to time, we get too focused on the details and forget what's to come next and end up having to go back and rip work a part only to start over again. Visualize what you are going to do in a chronological order.

electrostatic 
Copper - Posts: 154
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2006 at 8:58 PM / IP Logged  
dont take coffee breaks! pee in a cup so you dont have to leave to use the toilet. lol j/k
electrostatic 
Copper - Posts: 154
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2006 at 9:19 PM / IP Logged  
okay i had my laugh.
keep notes. make up simple jigs/templates for repetitive fabwork. dont run out of stuff, that'll slow you down.
for complicated boxes make full scale drawings. use cardboard templates to obtain unknown dimension.
techguy688 
Copper - Posts: 55
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2006 at 9:20 PM / IP Logged  

Plan your install. lay out your equipment in advance. I use a Wahl Cordless Soldering Iron instead of Butane It heats quicker and will not burn anything and it has a light on it to see into those dark places.

Why waste time witha pee cup I use a cathiter and a colostimy bag.Time saving tricks? -- posted image.  Delious..

Just because you've done something for a long time doesn't mean you're any good at it.
Cable Ties Rock!
ac0j 
Copper - Posts: 121
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2006 at 9:20 PM / IP Logged  

I use time between installs to pre-wire for the next job.  Remote starts were selling like hotcakes this year.  I would prewire the units on the bench before the cars even showed up.  There is always several wires you wont need that can be tied out of the way or cut off.  Relays could be prewired to the system on the bench. Wires headed for the steering column seperated from the ones that head for the kickpanel etc.etc.  This goes for alarms as well.  Makes install look clean and saves getting yourself tied up under the dash!  If you have some relays presetup for specific options (second ign., trunk, rev.pol door locks.....) that saves a minute or two as well.

Another thing is have radio harnesses for the most popular headunits prewired to metra plugs for popular cars. A lot of models within the same brand will use the same plug, so you can interchange as needed.  you cant have all the bases covered, but it saves time when you have some pre-done.  I put the prewired units back on the stock shelf with a note on it as to what it is prewired for.  The sales guys use that as a sales tool as well for the cash and carry people.

If you build enclosures, Make patterns for the custom ones in the event you ever have to make another. You wont have to lay it out from scratch.

speedwayaudio1 
Silver - Posts: 879
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2006 at 12:13 PM / IP Logged  
try to stock your bay with shop, or chiltons manuals. it will save you time if you can look up how to take a door panel or dash off. And not just feel your way thru it.  I don't waste time with a cath or bag. the customers ash try is right there. lol
Big Dave
Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2006 at 8:52 PM / IP Logged  
Just do what i do, wear a diaper....
Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
crcustoms45 
Member - Posts: 29
Member spacespace
Posted: February 25, 2006 at 1:04 AM / IP Logged  
also, remember that food and water waste time and money. if you really get hungry, eating the insulation on the floor from the last install can help hold you over... after all, time is money. right?
Chris
CRCustoms
magot 
Member - Posts: 29
Member spacespace
Posted: February 25, 2006 at 8:51 AM / IP Logged  
Like every one else said, Planing and thinking about your next move will save the most time. I learned quickly not to half @$$ it because it leads to failure. So when you do it, do it to the fullest and right. It will turn out real nice. The First sub box I made turned out like crap because I rushed it. I wanted to get it done because it looked so cool. But when the glass cured the subs dint sit flush. it was bad. I would post pics of it but a hammer hit it. Time saving tricks? -- posted image. But my new box is awsome. So dont half @$$ it and plan, take your time.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic