icon

95 chevy lumina remote start interrupt?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
stockgp 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2006 at 1:48 PM / IP Logged  
i'm installing a motorjoy remote starter/alarm module. i've got the keyless entry and starter functions hooked up and functioning.
my only problem is, i don't know how to hook up the starter kill.
the motor starts fine and runs as long as i want it to, but won't turn off with the ignition switch.
i read the car security starter interrupt pages, and i still need some help.
i know that i hook up the start wire in the ignition switch to one end and the starter kill to the other end, but the wire gauges are so different i'm a little concerned.
the start wire in my ignition switch is like 10-12 gauge, and the wire on the remote starter is like 18 gauge. is it going to be okay to hook it up anyhow?
i'm pretty sure the RS has a built-in starter interrupt relay, but without opening it again i'm not sure.
here is the diagram:
95 chevy lumina remote start interrupt? - Last Post -- posted image.
thanks in advance
lsampson 
Member - Posts: 30
Member spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2006 at 8:56 PM / IP Logged  
Ok, this looks even confusing as it sounds.  I'm not too, sure what you mean by not being able to cut the engine off by the ignition that sounds to me like the rs is not being shut down by the brake once you put the key in the ignition.  first off and i'm sure you've already done this, but the starter wire needs to be cut in half.  as for the starter kill you should have a separate relay and if you take the relay out of its holder and look at the bottom of the relay you should see 5 numbers 87, 86, 85, 30, and 87a the wire corresponding with 30 should got the the cut side of the wire headed towards the starter along with the starter wire from you rs which is on the same harness as the 12v, ignition 1 & 2, and the acc.  the wire corresponding with 87a should go the the starter wire going the the ignition.  the wire corresponding with 86 should go to you ignition wire, and finally the wire corresponding with 85 should go to your ground while running on the rs which in this case looking at the diagram looks like the yellow.  if you're successful you will find that when the alarm is armed you will not be able to start the vehicle.  let me know if this helps you out!
Sammy
stockgp 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2006 at 9:09 PM / IP Logged  
yeah you got what i was trying to say.
i'll give this a try tonight or tomorrow.
thanks a ton for the info!
dan
stockgp 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2006 at 3:56 AM / IP Logged  
well i hooked it up like you said.
as you said, i can't start the car with the alarm armed. howver, i still can't turn off the car with the key.
i tried it in normally open and normally closed configurations and got the same result. what am i doing wrong?
installmastermo 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2006 at 7:28 AM / IP Logged  
If I'm understanding you right you're remote starting the vehicle puting the key in the ignition, but when you turn the ignition back it's not cutting off.  Am I understanding you right?
stockgp 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2006 at 8:45 AM / IP Logged  
yes, that's what was happening. i posted here about an hour ago saying i figured it out.
i used a reverse polarity relay to trigger the hood switch when i press the brake pedal. works perfectly.
maybe not how it was supposed to be done, but no mattter what else i did i couldn't get it to work.
so, for future reference if anyone puts in a motorjoy brand starter
stockgp 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2006 at 8:46 AM / IP Logged  
i don't know what happened to my last post. i must have closed the browser before it finished posting
installmastermo 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2006 at 8:58 AM / IP Logged  
good because that's what I was going to sugest because I was sure that the issue was because the brake was not shuting down the remote starter.  there are various systems out there like that nitro and a few others share this issue.  what happens is that the brake wire only serves the purpose of controling the locks.  You did just the right thing I've had to use that trick a time or two myself.  glad it worked out for you!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic