icon

91 gmc jimmy, boa keyless/remote start

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
s15jimmy 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2006 at 2:56 PM / IP Logged  

Hello everyone - I recently tried to install a Boa 265b remote start and keyless entry kit in my 1991 s15 gmc jimmy 2 door.  I had some difficulty, but after reading all the posts on the topic in this forum I was able to resolve most of my problems.

Currently I have all the remote starting features working perfectly, and remote locking is also working.  However, I cannot remote UNLOCK the doors.  Similiarly, the doors do not unlock when i turn off the car as the system is designed to do.  When I press the unlock button on the remote the car dings and theres a clicking noise, so I can tell something is happening, but im not sure what exactly...

I believe I have connected the wrong wire corresponding to unlock.  The instructions said that the lock and unlock wires should be light blue and BLACK/ white.  They also said to probe the suspected wires, then activate the power locks and check for a voltage jump.  There was no activity on any of the light blue wire whether locking or unlocking.  (unfortunately there are multiple blue, lightblue, black, and brown wires all in the same location.  I ended up using a black (solid black I think, i saw no white on it) for the lock wire after seeing a voltage jump and it is working correctly.  I also saw a voltage change for unlock on a light brown wire, so I used that one for unlock.

When I realized it wasnt working i re-probed all the wires and I dont think there was any change on any of them when using the lock.  I also tried cutting the green loop on the brain box in order to get a double unlock pulse just in case, but that didnt change anything.  I dont know what else to do, any help would be appreciated.

(Sorry for the long post, I just wanted to be complete)

sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2006 at 3:06 PM / IP Logged  
The unlock wire is black. Test each black wire going into one of the doors. It should show 12 volts + when you use the soor lock switch. Try both switches for a response as it depends on which switch is the master for the system and you will only get a response from one switch. The lock system is reverse polarity type. The light brown wire is probably the tan door lock actuator wire. This is not the wire you want.
sparky
s15jimmy 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2006 at 3:36 PM / IP Logged  

thank you very much for your reply

when you say try both switches, do you mean try both doors? or do you mean try both directions (lock/unlock)?

also, if i use the black wire for unlock, what do I use for lock?  i believe the black wire you're talking about is the one i have connected to the lock wire right now.  If i have that wire incorrect, would the locking function still be working correctly with the remote?

Joe Neal 
Copper - Posts: 113
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2006 at 5:24 PM / IP Logged  

Lt. BLUE = LOCK

BLACK/ Red or BLACK/ White = UNLOCK
Reversal Rest At Ground Door Locks

You will need 2 Single Pole Double Throw Relays if your Unit does not have the Relays built in

s15jimmy 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2006 at 5:39 PM / IP Logged  
Joe Neal wrote:

Lt. BLUE = LOCK

BLACK/ Red or BLACK/ White = UNLOCK
Reversal Rest At Ground Door Locks

You will need 2 Single Pole Double Throw Relays if your Unit does not have the Relays built in

There is more than one Lt. Blue wire, and more than one Black wire in that location.  How can i tell which ones are correct?  I currently have the BLACK wire connected to the lock wire on the Unit, and locking is working correctly - should I remove this wire and connect it to Unlock anyway?

Joe Neal 
Copper - Posts: 113
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2006 at 6:11 PM / IP Logged  

There should be a BLACK, Lt. BLUE & BLACK/ Red or BLACK/ White

You need to Meter each of these wires while pressing the Lock & Unlock Switch to determine if they are correct.
It should be Lt. BLUE & BLACK/ Red
Once you have that tested, you will need to cut the 2 wires in half.
Then you need to Meter the cut wires to determine the Switch Side & the Actuator Side, by pressing the Lock & Unlock Switch.
If your Unit doesn't have the capability of 5 Wire Reversal you will need 2 SPDT Relays.
Wire like this:

Cut LOCK  & UNLOCK Wire in Half.

One Half goes to SWITCH ( should show 12 Volts when pressing Lock / Unlock)
One Half goes to ACTUATOR ( should show 0 Volts when pressing Lock/Unlock)

Relay 1

LOCK:

PIN 87 =  12 Volts ( + ) Constant
PIN 87a =  wire from Door Lock Switch
PIN 30 =  wire to Actuator
PIN 85 = Negative Lock Output from Alarm
PIN 86 = Constant 12 volt ( + )

Relay 2

UNLOCK:

PIN 87 =  12 Volts ( + ) Constant
PIN 87a =  wire from Door UnLock Switch
PIN 30 =  wire to Actuator
PIN 85 = Negative UnLock Output from Alarm
PIN 86 = Constant 12 volt ( + )

s15jimmy 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2006 at 11:29 PM / IP Logged  

ok, thanks everyone.  i'm going to try my luck at this again this weekend- i'll post my future success/failure.

thanks again

OhioMike1101 
Silver - Posts: 343
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2006 at 8:48 PM / IP Logged  
never ceases to amaze me that ppl install RS./alarms without testing any of the wires.  Lucky for you no major mistake was made and it was an early 90s GM
South Side Audio
2501 S. High St
Columbus, OH 43207
s15jimmy 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2006 at 9:40 PM / IP Logged  

OhioMike1101 wrote:
never ceases to amaze me that ppl install RS./alarms without testing any of the wires.  Lucky for you no major mistake was made and it was an early 90s GM

I tested EVERY wire coming out of the door.  The directions explicitly said to look for a voltage change and use that wire for the respective lock/unlock input to the unit.; thats what i did.  Have any other useful input?

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic